Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am using Redhat Linux 9.0, Kernel version (2.4.20- on my computer with ASUS P4S33VM Motherboard, Samsung 40GB Harddisk, Intel Pentium 4 Processor, SAMSUNG CDROM. For the past 8-9 months, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

56Kbps Modem Driver!!!!

I am using Redhat Linux 9.0, Kernel version (2.4.20- on my computer with ASUS P4S33VM Motherboard, Samsung 40GB Harddisk, Intel Pentium 4 Processor, SAMSUNG CDROM. For the past 8-9 months, I have been searching for a suitable driver for my modem. My modem is Conexant Soft56K Data, Fax, Voice, Speakerphone PCI Modem. I am not able to get a modem driver for it. Also, I visited www.linuxant.com but they offer the modem driver at a modest price which I cant buy. I somehow would like to know where I could get the modem driver for free!!
    I operate my root account with the KDE environment.

Will upgrading my kernel solve the problem?

Linux Engineer
    simply go on conexant's web site to dload the driver mate... dont hesitate to search the web it took me about 5 second...

anyway here's what your looking for
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Engineer
    To get any decent speed from your modem, you'll have to pay the $15 for the drivers. The free driver is limited to 14.4k, it's for testing purposes to ensure that the driver works with your modem before you buy the 56k one. 14.4k is pretty damn slow. You might also look around for a cheap serial modem though, you might find one for $20 or less, and you won't need any extra drivers for it since all that is needed is already part of the kernel.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    Smile simply go on conexant's web site to dload the driver mate... dont hesitate to search the web Very Happy it took me about 5 second...
    sorry about that I didnt even relate the linuxant.com to my own post... my apologies for the comment

Nevertheless, I find it REALLY odd that the company you bought the card from charges you for the drivers... that almost illegal!!!
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by valan
    You might also look around for a cheap serial modem though, you might find one for $20 or less, and you won't need any extra drivers for it since all that is needed is already part of the kernel.
    I've gotten 2 serial modems from eBay, one for about $12 including shipping. Both are US Robotics 56K Sportster. They've got no "Fax, Voice, Speakerphone" features, but they've also got no problems.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

thanks all

Hey, thanks to all, specially ugo!! Well, I will check out the conexant website and find out if they have a driver available for me....

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    Nevertheless, I find it REALLY odd that the company you bought the card from charges you for the drivers... that almost illegal!!!
    That's because the driver's aren't from the company that makes the modem. They explain why they charge for them here.
    https://www.linuxant.com/store/faq.php

Yeah, I've got a Conexant modem, but I refuse to pay for the drivers. I just ordered a new serial modem for $3 more than the drivers. Partly because I'm not gonna pay for the modem twice, partly because I don't wanna taint my kernel, and partly because serial modems are better anyway.

Just Joined!

56 Kbps Modem Driver!!!!

Hmmm... So I downloaded the driver, but after I tried installing using the rpm command, I got the result that was not expected! In other words, there was some kind of error which ended the installation halfway and was terminated. So, Now Where do I find the driver which will get properly installed?

Will upgrading my kernel solve the problem? ( Ugo u did not answer this question )

Linux Engineer
    So, Now Where do I find the driver which will get properly installed?
    This isn't the way you have to look at it, it has nothing to do with the install having an error, it has to do with a component probably missing or something alike..

Can you post the exact output when your trying to install the driver please...

Just Joined!
    Dude, Check out this site. You can find the modem drivers and even I have donwloaded it but I am not sure whether it will work for my computer as I have installed REDHAT 9 (2.4.20-. Now tell me whether the driver that I have downloaded will work or not?
    Please!!!
    http://www.linux-plus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast