Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have 2 Ubuntu machines one acting as IPv6 wireless router (running hostap and radvd on wlan0) and the other is connected to that router. the router wlan0 interface ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    iss
    Just Joined!

a strange issue with ping6

Hello,

I have 2 Ubuntu machines one acting as IPv6 wireless router (running hostap and radvd on wlan0) and the other is connected to that router. the router wlan0 interface has the address 2001:db8:1:1::1/64 and the host has the address 2001:db8:1:1::2/64 on wlan0 which is connected to ap1 provided by the router. On wireshark, I can see the router advertisements at the router and the host.

When I ping 2001:db8:1:1::2 at the router it says that "Destination unreachable: Address unreachable" and I can see the neighbour solicitation and advertisement messages exchange.

When I ping 2001:db8:1:1::1 at the host it says the same "Destination unreachable: Address unreachable" and I can see the neighbour solicitation message only

Any idea?

Also, I have tried to do the following into the router
    sudo ip -6 neigh add 2001:db8:1:1::2 lladdr 64:50:03:ec:cc:ss dev wlan0

and this into the host

sudo ip -6 neigh add 2001:db8:1:1::1 lladdr 64:50:03:ec:cc:ff dev wlan0

Then, when I ping I can see the echo request and reply exchange in wireshark only but I cannot see that at the command line, rather it says no packets have been received !!!

Thank you

Ibra

I have only a couple of suggestions and they are probably both wrong.

1) Could be a firewall. Funny thing about IPv6 ND now is that it requires that the host accept multicast traffic on particular addresses. What would it be in this case? For the router, NS would need to go to FF02::FF00:1, right? Which means for the host it would be FF02::FF00:2 I think. Maybe? I don't know.

2) Maybe it has something to do with setting up wlan0 like a layer three interface. Maybe you could bridge another interface off of wlan0 and ip the bridge. Not sure if that makes sense. I haven't ever done anything with hostap, and I would think you would be able to IP wlan0 like any other interface, but its just a thought.

N