Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just wondering if anyone had used some good network inventory software that would be able to scan the network at intervals (like daily) and then e-mail when new devices are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Open source software for network discovery/inventory?

Just wondering if anyone had used some good network inventory software that would be able to scan the network at intervals (like daily) and then e-mail when new devices are discovered, etc. to keep a good running list of the OS's, IPs, that kind of stuff.

I can do this kind of thing with Nmap but I need something a little cleaner and it needs to be agentless. Does anyone have any favorites for this kind of thing??

Just Joined!
    What about this: Open-AudIT - The network inventory, audit, documentation and management tool. looks like it might do what you want. You may also want to look at OCS Inventory NG | OCS Inventory NG Server

Just Joined!
    First one looks good. Also works for Windows and Linux which is always useful. We're mostly Linux here but it's good to have one tool that will be able to do both.

I'll try installing that on a VM and see what it's like.

Thanks for the input.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Problem:

I like the look and functionality of AudIT but does that only install on a Windows box?? I need something that will go on Linux because although we have a few Windows boxes around that we would want to audit, I wouldn't want to install the system on a Windows box.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wlandymore View Post
    Problem:

I like the look and functionality of AudIT but does that only install on a Windows box?? I need something that will go on Linux because although we have a few Windows boxes around that we would want to audit, I wouldn't want to install the system on a Windows box.
    If you download the one that is called: Beta 9.2 code only it contains instructions for Ubuntu or Windows install. However I bet if you wanted you could change the install instructions to fit any linux distro.