Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have been looking into clustering for a while and I have recently come into some hardware. In total, I have 6 working computers I am ready to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Linux Clustering with different hardware

Hello all, I have been looking into clustering for a while and I have recently come into some hardware. In total, I have 6 working computers I am ready to use to create my first Linux cluster. What I have been reading is that if the hardware is different for each of the nodes, the cluster will not work, or the performance will be lowered. Since all of my hardware is different, my questions are: 1)Can I use different computers to build a cluster (Linux)? 2)If so, what is the best software I can use to build the Linux cluster? 3) Is there a website that can tell me how to do this in Layman's terms? Thanks for your time!

Are you looking for distributed file system ? So that the cluster will act as File server or something ?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Are you looking for distributed file system ? So that the cluster will act as File server or something ?
    Im not really sure what im looking to do with these, any sugustions?

Its hard to suggest without requirements... but you if have different hardware and want to have distributed file system , have a look at gluster.org or moosefs . Its easy to install and play around. If you need more bleeding-edge project checkout ceph.com !
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Im not sure really what I want, I guess what im looking to do is to build a semi-easy cluster network system, whether it be a distributed file system or something completely different (maybe enhanced computing?). The computers I have date to 04 to 05.