Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am not a network person so this is probably a pretty simple question. I have one of those linksys 10/100 hubs. It is suppose to be "plug and play". ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hub static dynamic question

I am not a network person so this is probably a pretty simple question.

I have one of those linksys 10/100 hubs. It is suppose to be "plug and play". I plug in 2 slackware machines (same version) and cannot ping one from the other. My question is do I need to static the ips because there is no router? Since they both have ip addresses you would think they could ping each other when I type in the exact address.

pc 1 is 192.168.1.50
    pc 2 is 169.254.237.160

They can ping themselves

This hub worked between 3 XP machines but that was a year ago.

Only pc1 connects to the internet via a cable into a modem but I swapped the plug out of the modem and into the hub for this test.

The hub is just for xfering large files between computers once in a while. I do NOT want the second PC to connect to the internet thru the first.

thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A hub is not a router. You need to configure your routing tables so that one can connect to the other, especially given their very different subnet addresses.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!