Find the answer to your Linux question:
I built a new computer and want to install Linux on it. I loaded a couple different flavors and they detect there is a NIC but it won't connect to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

NIC detected but wont connect to network

I built a new computer and want to install Linux on it. I loaded a couple different flavors and they detect there is a NIC but it won't connect to the network. It looks like it tries and tries but never connects. Network is using DHCP so not getting an address shouldn't be the issue. I figured the drivers might be an issue but the NIC on the mobo didn't have linux drivers so I bought a PCI NIC that people seemed to not have issues with, by searching the internet. I bought a D-Link DGE-530T. I put it in and it's acting the same way. I install windows and the integrated NIC works fine so it can't be the hardware itself. Anyone use this D-Link card before or anyone have any advice on what to try? Went to the D-Link site to get the latest drivers too.

Also, looking at the README in the drivers folder, it references files that aren't even included so I don't get what that's about.

Start with providing needed info from

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html

Don't be worried about the wireless title. Landline will show up in readouts also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Sorry I don't have the exact output from the script in the thread you provided but I did type it out and put the output you should be looking for...

lspci > Ethernet controller [0200]: D-Link System Inc DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev.C1) [Realtek RTL8169] [1186:4302] (rev 10) Kernel driver in use: r8169 Kernel modules: r8169, skge
    Ethernet Controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06) Kernel driver in use: r8169 Kernel modules: r8169

lsmod > Module: r8160 Size: 61650 Used By: 0

dmesg > blank when grep-ing for "firmware"

uname -r > 3.5.0-17-generic

ifconfig > 3 interfaces - 1 loopback (lo), 2 ethernet (eth0, eth1) (looks right)

no wireless interfaces (dont have any)

Using "cat /sys/class/net/eth0/operstate" it claims the NIC is "up".

I did try ubuntu 13.04 and it's still doing the same thing. I thought since it seemed like a DHCP issue, I could just statically assign an address. I did and for all intents and purposes, ubuntu detected it as connected to the network (tray icon shows connected and the message bubble/blip pops up saying "connected"), but it isn't. I can't get to internet and can't ping anything even on my network. I've checked the router setting and there just isn't any reason for this not to work. As I said, I have 2 NICs in the computer now and they both do the exact same thing.

Well I found the answer to my issue and figured I should share. The issue is 32 bit and 64 bit. The networking works fine for 32 bit but not 64. To get it to work for 64 bit you need to enable "IOMMU". You turn this on in the BIOS. I have a Gigabyte board and was able to enable it and fix the issue.