Find the answer to your Linux question:
Routers are basically small computers. Wouldn't a desktop with multiple NICs and something like ClearOS make an exquisite and powerful router?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desktop Router

Routers are basically small computers. Wouldn't a desktop with multiple NICs and something like ClearOS make an exquisite and powerful router?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Yeah, but I would use Debian
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Rpm-based distros<3

No, because:
    - A desktop case is way too big
    - A desktop case cannot (sanely) be mounted in a standard 19" rack
    - Desktop hardware draws too much power
    - Desktop hardware is not relieable enough for professional use
    - Desktop hardware seldom has professional NICs
    - Desktop hardware varies too much. Maybe even from revision to revision
    - Most probably there will be no SLAs
    - All config is basically shell based. This is more errorprone than a dedicated network description language

I mean, if you have a spare machine and want to play and learn networks: Sure, go ahead.
    But even at home I wouldnt recommend a desktop router as part of the infrastructure.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    No, because:
    - A desktop case is way too big
    - A desktop case cannot (sanely) be mounted in a standard 19" rack
    - Desktop hardware draws too much power
    - Desktop hardware is not relieable enough for professional use
    - Desktop hardware seldom has professional NICs
    - Desktop hardware varies too much. Maybe even from revision to revision
    - Most probably there will be no SLAs
    - All config is basically shell based. This is more errorprone than a dedicated network description language

I mean, if you have a spare machine and want to play and learn networks: Sure, go ahead.
    But even at home I wouldnt recommend a desktop router as part of the infrastructure.
    I am sorry if I didn't specify exactly, it would not be for enterprise use of course. I was thinking if it would be more powerful than a basic home router. It is more of a little project.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by absal0m View Post
    I was thinking if it would be more powerful than a basic home router.
    what kind of power do you suspect you'll need for a basic home router? it is overkill, for your needs, but sure, go ahead and play.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Well if you compare it to the average ISP provided router which are usually very limited in what they can do, a re-purposed old desktop can give a home or small business a lot more control especially, if you make it a router, firewall and proxy server, which will require surprisingly little processing power. It's even possible, although more suited to small businesses than a home, to have a demilitarised zone inside the ISP box's firewall but outside of yours.

Additionally it is fun and interesting, but tricky to set up correctly, which applies mostly to the routing and firewall. The proxy server is less involved.

[edit]You could even have a caching DNS server on their to speed look ups! I'm starting to think this may be a thing to do myself [/edit]
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Well if you compare it to the average ISP provided router which are usually very limited in what they can do, a re-purposed old desktop can give a home or small business a lot more control especially, if you make it a router, firewall and proxy server, which will require surprisingly little processing power. It's even possible, although more suited to small businesses than a home, to have a demilitarised zone inside the ISP box's firewall but outside of yours.

Additionally it is fun and interesting, but tricky to set up correctly, which applies mostly to the routing and firewall. The proxy server is less involved.

[edit]You could even have a caching DNS server on their to speed look ups! I'm starting to think this may be a thing to do myself [/edit]
    I will just try it for fun ^^ i'll upload photos when I am done!