Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
I want to take Linux Certification which cover information about network and data communication, sharing data, DNS, DHCP and all knowledge that network administrator should know. I searched in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Certification for network, LPI or RHCE?

I want to take Linux Certification which cover information about network and data communication, sharing data, DNS, DHCP and all knowledge that network administrator should know.

I searched in the Internet and found two types of Certification:
    1. LPI (1, 2, and 3) certification
    2. (RHCSA, RHCE, RHCSS).

Which of these Certifications has network Contents
    Last edited by MicroLinux; 05-29-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Is there any idea?! where are you guys?

Just Joined!
    Hi, I don't post much but here's the difference so far as I know between the two certifications.

LPI (Linux+) is multiple choice and tests general knowledge. You need to know both Debian and Red Hat's package management software as well as building from source.

RHCE is a certification where you get a computer and network set up that's running Red Hat Linux. You'll be expected to work with both a server and a virtual machine installation and how to troubleshoot and fix issues in both.

Best of luck in your choice, at this time I'm working towards my RHCE.
    MicroLinux likes this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thank you for your response.
    I am new in Linux. Do you think we can start from RHCE? Some have said that RHCE is very hard. And believe we should start from LPI. Do you agree?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroLinux View Post
    Thank you for your response.
    I am new in Linux. Do you think we can start from RHCE? Some have said that RHCE is very hard. And believe we should start from LPI. Do you agree?
    If you are new to Linux, then I recommend the LPI certification. RHCE expects 3 or so years work experience with Linux. There is the Red Hat Certified System Administrator exam (RHCSA) which is similar in style to the RHCE certification exam and a prerequisite for RHCE that you may want to research (Red Hat provides free assessment exams for its certifications, check their website) to see if it suits your needs.

I've been trying to get Linux+ certified for a number of years but have not taken an opportunity to really study and challenge the exam.

Break a leg on the exams and good luck on your research.

Are you a member of your local or virtual Linux User Group? I have found a great wealth of knowledge and assistance in groups like that over the years.
    MicroLinux likes this.

Just Joined!
    LPI has many advanced Command Line. I'm a little lazy. I just want to have general knowledge of Linux that is enough for starting network. In other words I don’t want learn the Linux operating System in details. What’s your advice for me?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroLinux View Post
    LPI has many advanced Command Line. I'm a little lazy. I just want to have general knowledge of Linux that is enough for starting network. In other words I donít want learn the Linux operating System in details. Whatís your advice for me?
    OK, if you want general knowledge then please do not spend your time pursuing a certification. Instead, you will be best served picking up a book on Linux. There are many good titles out there. O'Reilly is one of the most trusted tech-related publishers in the business so picking up one of their introductory books on Linux System Administration will do you well.

Or, get a book which has exercises so that you can learn as you go and become comfortable with the command line, GNOME, and KDE or one of the other GUIs which come with the distribution of your choice.

Does this help?
    T.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Use it every day. You soon pick it up.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by thornlord View Post
    OK, if you want general knowledge then please do not spend your time pursuing a certification. Instead, you will be best served picking up a book on Linux. There are many good titles out there. O'Reilly is one of the most trusted tech-related publishers in the business so picking up one of their introductory books on Linux System Administration will do you well.

Or, get a book which has exercises so that you can learn as you go and become comfortable with the command line, GNOME, and KDE or one of the other GUIs which come with the distribution of your choice.

Does this help?
    T.
    Yes, Thank you then after that I can go towards RHCSA Confidently.

As has already been states RH expects you to have worked with linux for a number of years. If you cannot complete the list of objectives on the following page I would highly suggest you stay away from RH certs as they are costly and it is all hands on test no Q&A here.

RHSCA Objectives

I am trying to figure out what you mean by starting network.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast