Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi. i am looking for a way to create a vpn through ssh when mobile. i do have ssh enabled at home and i would like to be able when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ssh vpn

hi. i am looking for a way to create a vpn through ssh when mobile.
    i do have ssh enabled at home and i would like to be able when not at home to access the machines and have full access, apart from ssh.
    For example i would like to see an internal system that fires up though brower in a local IP in port 80.

the machine at remote site is a linux netbook.
    may i have some help please?

Trusted Penguin
    It sounds like you want a remote desktop, yes? Have you ever used VNC before? It exists in various forms (including Windows). You can use SSH to create a secure connection from the remote machine to the client PC. Then tunnel VNC over this SSH connection. Guides to do this abound on the net, google for it.

You can even use OpenVPN to first create an actual VPN connection, then create your SSH connection inside that, then create your VNC connection in that. You can download OpenVPN if it is not already installed, should be in your Linux distro software repos (along with VNC clients and servers).

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for the reply. I am not looking only for a remote desktop, rather than a vpn solution by making use of port 22 and ssh protocol.
    the router at home does not have vpn capabilities. the linux box it makes use of port 22 for ssh. For that i thought i could make use of it and step into my home network to gain full access.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by binary_dreamer View Post
    Thanks a lot for the reply. I am not looking only for a remote desktop, rather than a vpn solution by making use of port 22 and ssh protocol.
    the router at home does not have vpn capabilities. the linux box it makes use of port 22 for ssh. For that i thought i could make use of it and step into my home network to gain full access.
    okay, so you have something like what is depicted here?

if so, then you may just need to forward port 22 on your router to the Linux netbook's port 22. However, if you are using an ISP at home, they may be blocking port 22, so you may have to choose some other port (say port 22222) and then forward that port to port 22 on your internal Linux netbook. From the mobile PC, you'd then have to use port 22222 and the router's public IP address to get to the Linux netbook.

You mentioned port 80, too - so you want to be able to enable a remote shell in a browser, i.e., in your mobile device, just go to the router's public ip address and reach your netbook? there exists some solutions for this already. I mentioned VNC before, there are java clients/servers that do just this. they often come bundled with the VNC servers/clients prepared for your distro.