Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit as host, and have Fedora 64-bit installed in Vbox as guest. I've asked on VBox forums, and fedoraforum.org. According to the support from Vbox, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VBox - Networking Issue in Linux

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit as host, and have Fedora 64-bit installed in Vbox as guest. I've asked on VBox forums, and fedoraforum.org.

According to the support from Vbox, I have it set up correctly. They seem to believe the issue is a networking issue.

My Computer is using a WiFi adapter for internet BTW.

but I have used NAT in vbox, or changed it Bridged Adapter, using my computers WiFi adapter. The results are the same.

The Problem:
    I can connect to certain sites such as google.com, wiki, and even youtube.com. Though the content to which I can view is limited. but the problem is I cannot connect to sites directly. I can bring them up in a google search just fine.

Examples: I pull up this site in a google search within VBox fine, but I cannot connect to it.

If anyone needs anymore info please let me know. I'm at dead ends on what to do and it made 2 people give up.

Edit, with these sites ive tried to "connect to" - i have also pinged them and all packets have been lost.

Just taking a stab in the dark here, but it sounds like you're having some DNS issues. I've had similar issues using Ubuntu 12.04 as the host. I built my own Ubuntu remix and in the process of learning I fouled up DNS resolution. That, plus some changes that VB has made recently to the way the guest retrives DNS info from the host caused all kinds of headaches.

Have you made any changes to the doze default DNS resolution? I'd jump over to a 7 forum and make sure your host DNS is straight.

Then I'd start digging through the web and the docs for VB guest DNS resolution. After I fixed DNS on the host I had to do some terminal work and change the way VB was retrieving the DNS info from the host.

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    Just taking a stab in the dark here, but it sounds like you're having some DNS issues. I've had similar issues using Ubuntu 12.04 as the host. I built my own Ubuntu remix and in the process of learning I fouled up DNS resolution. That, plus some changes that VB has made recently to the way the guest retrives DNS info from the host caused all kinds of headaches.

Have you made any changes to the doze default DNS resolution? I'd jump over to a 7 forum and make sure your host DNS is straight.

Then I'd start digging through the web and the docs for VB guest DNS resolution. After I fixed DNS on the host I had to do some terminal work and change the way VB was retrieving the DNS info from the host.

Hope this helps.

I'm still a big noob to networking, I know how to change some settings such as the DNS address in the guest OS, but doing that is still the same problem, do you think its a host os issue?

IF it is the same issue I had (and it sounds very similar) then there are problems that you need to fix with the host DNS resolution. THEN, you'll need to make changes to the way that VB retrieves the DNS info from the host. I can't help you trouble shoot the host here. But there are lots of good 7 forums out there. Then, after that is fixed, if you're still having issues then do some research on how the latest changes to VB guest DNS resolution have created some issues. I could give you the command to fix that part in a *nix host, but it probably wouldn't work in a 7 host. Though, I'm suspecting you'll end up needing to resolve the issue by doing something similar in 7's command prompt. But, I think the main issue is in the host DNS resolution and not the guest.

Just Joined!
    I believe you may be right, from some "info" i been reading, windows 7 primary host resolver seems to fail alot, how do i go about swapping the primary and secondary? (VBox apparently cant do this)

Edit:
    I do not know if this helps, but the host is fine. The host can connect to everything.
    Last edited by Silvervestige; 06-09-2013 at 09:01 AM.

With the issue I was having when I set DNS resolution up the wrong way in my Ubuntu remix the first time, while I was learning, the host browser could connect to everything on the web just fine once I had established a network connection. But, my VM's had a terrible time trying to connect to networks and once connected wouldn't resolve 1/2 the addresses I tried.

I had to gut the Ubuntu host DNS resolution and rebuild it the right way.

Then, I had to set this parmeter:

Code:
    VBoxManage modifyvm "VM name" --natdnshostresolver1 on
    (example of actual machine)
    Code:
    VBoxManage modifyvm "WebSurfer" --natdnshostresolver1 on
    in the terminal of the Ubuntu host to change the way that the VB program itself was interacting with the host DNS. (Think command prompt in windows.)

This exact command *probably* (?) won't work in windows. But, if you search the net there is probably one with a slightly different syntax that does the same thing in windows.

It was only after I fixed both the host DNS and used this command to change the way that the VB program itself (and not the guest OS DNS) retrived the DNS info from the host that my VM's stopped having issues and could connect to all networks and resolve all addresses.

I *think* you are having a similar issue and need to track down where DNS is not set up properly on your host and then change how the VB program itself is retrieving the DNS info from the host with a command similar to the one above.

(And to be honest, IDK if it is the exact same command for windows or one that is just similar. I haven't used windows as my base OS for about a year and only run it in a VM now.)

At least, that's how I solved the problem I was having; which sounds a lot like the problem you're having.

Hopefully this will help you track it down?