Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a problem in setting up a website on my virtual machine and access it from outside, here are the details: I have a HP computer with Centos ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Failure of Port forwarding using NAT server

Hi, I have a problem in setting up a website on my virtual machine and access it from outside, here are the details:

I have a HP computer with Centos 6.4, which is behind a Netgear router with an internal static IP of 192.168.1.10, then I installed RHEL 6.4 as virtual machine on top of this HP, the hypervisor is kvm, and the Virtual Network Interface is NAT, the network of this virtual machine is 192.168.122.0/24, this virtual machine was assigned a dynamic IP of 192.168.122.139. I setup a simple webserver on it and it can be seen using 127.0.0.1. I have another Windows 7 hooked to the Netgear router with a static IP of 192.168.1.2 (/24). As of right now, I can ping between the HP and virtual machine (either way), I can also visit the webpage (of the virtual machine) from its host machine (HP) I can ping Dell from virtual machine , but NOT the other way. then I setup this on HP,
    # sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
    # NewServerIP=192.168.122.139
    # iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s ${NewServerIP} -j MASQUERADE
    # iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination ${NewServerIP}

No error ever popped up, according to RH254 (p312), I should be able to ping my virtual machine from the Dell, also I should be able to access its website from Dell, since on my Netgear router, I setup port forwarding (80) to HP host (192.168.1.10), then I should be able to access the virtual website from my AT&T smartphone (using 4G, not WiFi connection. This method never worked, I even opened /etc/sysctl.conf to make sure "net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1", then followed by command " sysctl -p", but nothing helps!

then I used GUI to check firewall setting of this host, in the tab "Port forwarding", it is empty, but if I manually add port forwarding (I use this all the time on my wireless router) here, then everything would work ( virtual webserver works from AT&T smarthone), so I am really buffled why the command based approach won't work?

ALSO CURIOUS: are you guys familiar with all these commands? I mean there are so many tools in Linux requiring command. I can setup sophisticated stuff with help of Linux handbook, but can't remember all these lol!

It is long, thanks a lot!

Linux Engineer
    Remembering all the commands takes practice. Once you've been doing it for a couple years, you'll see that there's not really that much to memorize for day to day operations. I recommend keeping some kind of notepad with complicated commands that you use frequently.

Anyway, you need to set up a route in your Windows 7 machine. By default, each machine generally has one gateway (route) for external networks. You can specify different gateways for different networks. So, on your windows 7 machine, your gateway for network 192.168.100.0/24 would be 192.168.1.X, where X = IP of your hypervisor.