Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I have a small dilemma; I have a desktop (with Win 7 Pro) and a Laptop running Ubuntu LTS 12.04 (this I'm writing from). I have absolutely no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2 x PC's, one with USB 3G modem, both need to be on Internet, How?

Hi All,
    I have a small dilemma; I have a desktop (with Win 7 Pro) and a Laptop running Ubuntu LTS 12.04 (this I'm writing from). I have absolutely no problems with either security or S/W issues with my Laptop, runs smooth!
    Unfortunately I need to connect the desktop also at the same time to the Internet (wife uses it for Photoshop & Pastel accounting). I have a 3G thumb USB modem connecting us to the outside world as we do not have Telco lines in our area, all been stolen..
    Now, I am loath to connect the Win 7 desktop on its own via the 3G modem as I fear it may be hacked. I do have Online Armour as the Win 7 firewall, however I must be honest and say I have very little faith in Microsoft security in general as a whole. I have had previous PC's with XP & Win 7 being hacked easily, although all security patches & updates were downloaded and with various firewalls installed.
    I do have a small 8 port switch and a few UTP cat 5 fly leads and my idea is to have both the Win 7 desktop & the Ubuntu Linux Laptop on a network but use the Laptop for a shared Internet connection.
    Is this a viable option or is there any better? I unfortunately cannot afford a 3G router at this stage....we're both self employed and Biz is dead slow at the moment.
    How would I implement Internet sharing on the Laptop yet maintain tight security at all times?
    I would appreciate some workable suggestions or links on "how to's".
    Regards,
    T

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can configure your laptop as a router, with the 3g modem attached as your internet connection. Set up iptables for firewall rules and a dhcp server on the laptop, and connect the laptop and Windows desktop to the switch. The switch will simply move the windows desktop data to the "router" (your laptop), which will apply the firewall rules, and give it a local IP address. Your laptop will then apply NAT (network address translation) so that the local systems can connect to the internet without exposing them directly to remote exploits.

This is the short version, and I'm sure you will run into some problems (remember, Google is your friend), but there are good tutorials and FAQ's online to guide you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thank you....interesting, you can set up the laptop as a router...thought I may need a "physical router", but if that can be done, could then be the solution...will do a search and try it out!