Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I have IPV6 and ipv4 lan in my company(dual stack), we are using auto-config eui64 address on our servers(linux/windows), we have static DNS ipv4 server. I took the auto-config ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Weird thing ever - IPV6 DNS resolving without DNS?

Hello
    I have IPV6 and ipv4 lan in my company(dual stack), we are using auto-config eui64 address on our servers(linux/windows), we have static DNS ipv4 server.
    I took the auto-config address from the servers and i entered it manually in my DNS server.
    the weird thing is that on the servers /etc/resolve.conf file, there is ipv4 address of the DNS! and i still have working ipv6 name resolving!!
    and the other thing is when im running tcpdup on my DNS server, i can't see IPV6 DNS requests! "tcpdump -i eth0 -vv ip6".

everything is working fine but i cant uderstand why??
    i uploaded the tcpdump file from one of my servers, you can see that im pinging to few host(ping by name) and everything is ok, i have resolving but where is the DNS?? does ipv6 DNS working with multicast or something? there is multicast ipv6 for the DNS server?
    it's the weird thing ever..
    the funny thing is if im removing ipv4 dns address from /etc/resolve.conf - there is no ipv6 resolving..

does any one know the reason for that?

thanks a lot!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by meirh; 07-05-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Linux User
    There's tons of stuff that works perfectly in spite of the fact I cannot explain it, nor understand it.

Maybe if you fix it until it breaks, you'll find out why.

Good luck.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    There's tons of stuff that works perfectly in spite of the fact I cannot explain it, nor understand it.

Maybe if you fix it until it breaks, you'll find out why.

Good luck.
    Hi i found the solution :0
    If you have IPV4 DNS in your resolve.conf and your trying to resolve IPV6 address, the server is sending AAAA request over ipv4(to the IPV4 DNS sever) and then it got IPV6 address resolving..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close