Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am in the process of replacing an existing router. The current router runs Debian and bridges eth0 (internal LAN) and wlan0 (internal Wireless) to br0. Everything is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Routing Question

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing an existing router. The current router runs Debian and bridges eth0 (internal LAN) and wlan0 (internal Wireless) to br0. Everything is on the same network (192.168.0.0) regardless of wired or wireless. The router sits on the network with 192.168.0.1 and forwards external traffic out to the internet over eth1.

With the new router I would like to separate out LAN and WLAN into two different networks, say 192.168.0.0 for LAN and 192.168.10.0 for WLAN. What I don't yet have straight in my mind is how to allow clients on the WLAN talk to a fileserver on the LAN. Will this be iptable rules on the router? Will it be routing set-up in the DHCP server serving the WLAN clients or is it going to be a combination of the two?

Thanks in advance.

If your WLAN network is served by a DHCP server then by default it will set up the default gateway for the hosts of the WLAN to your router. That is if a host in your WLAN tries to reach the file server in the LAN then it will send the packets to your router. Then in order to the router can forward them to you LAN two things must be enabled. 1. accepting rules in FORWARD chain (filter table) must be present to allow forwarding to your file server 2. the forwarding must be enabled in the kernel's network stack for those two interfaces. I don't know which particular variables you should check, but try
    Code:
    sysctl -a | grep forward
    on your router to see all the system variables related to forwarding. And the last thing the route to your LAN network is created by automatically I believe so you don't need to change the routing table of your router.

You can control who is allowed to talk on which network with iptables. Should you require help with this just let me know.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the pointers guys. I will be starting the build soon so we will see how it goes.