Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I need to build a wireless network at one bar. At the beginning it wasn't so difficult task, but when I realized that the number of seats are more ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dhcpd for large network

Hi,

I need to build a wireless network at one bar. At the beginning it wasn't so difficult task, but when I realized that the number of seats are more than 800 - i understand that it is a challenge in front of me.

So i build one CentOS 6.4 box which will be the gateway and dhcp server for the wireless network. I choose to use Ubiquiti UniFi access points because i think they work nice.

My question here is about the DHCP settings. I look in the documentation on CentOS and RedHat and i suppose the think I should use in my configuration is "shared-network" - at the dhcp.conf file.

Can anyone tell me is there a better solution to achieve DHCP leases for such a large network?

P.S.
    Thet SSID of the Wireless is open - so no password

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards
    Yavor

are you looking for something like Sauron - A Free DNS & DHCP Management System
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Actually I don't look for any management tool or system. I just want to know is there a better solution than that I came with ... For example - if it is a better idea to split network from two different nick, two different switches or something like that ...
    I never before build such a large network so I don't know how exactly work this feature of dhcpd with "shared-network". I suppose if addresses on one subnet is finished then dhcpd start to give addresses from the next "shared-network" in the config file.
    Is my thoughts right ?
    And if someone here build such a network I hope to give me some advice or is there a better solutions then dhcpd and to point me the things with which I must be careful.

Best regards
    Yavor

Okay , now got some understanding of your requirement. But I never managed network infrastructure. Hope other members will provide some insights on it .
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

There is a lot to this and what and how many devices you are using. How many Wireless AP's are you going to have? One thing to remember is everyone shares the bandwidth on the AP and there is more overhead with wireless. 800 wireless connections is not going to be easy and require a lot of AP's if you plan that everyone run smoothly.

As for DHCP you can run one large pool that should not be a problem. But you might want to look into lease times to ensure they are not tied up for long periods of time.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    I must assume that in pick time there will be 300 or 400 users max ... So my idea is to use UbiQuiti UniFi access points. My plan is to setup 8 or 10 access points. The specification of the UniFi APs claim that they can work with 50-60 users at one time ... I hope that the bandwidth will not be very big problem because i assume that a half (at least) of the device will be smartphones or tablets ...
    I am very to know that the dhcp will not be my problem Lazydog thanks for the points and ones everything is setup i will tell the results
    I am also thinking to setup Cacti to be able to monitor the all network and users. Only problem here will be with the AP's because i don't like their management at all.