Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have a linux box that has an external IP address with internet access and also a client PC that's attached by USB. Typically the client would get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Assign external IP address to an attached client?

Hi all,

I have a linux box that has an external IP address with internet access and also a client PC that's attached by USB. Typically the client would get a private IP address and the linux box would route that over the internet. My question is, would it be possible to assign that client the external IP address? So the linux box is essentially letting the IP address pass through to the client. There are no other clients.

Also in this configuration, would it be possible to filter out IP packets bound for a web server running on the linux box?

I wasn't sure if bridging would cover it because I'd like to access the box's web server.

Thanks for any help!

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome, proptag!

it may be possible to do what you describe, but you probably just need to use a firewall (iptables) on the linux box to forward inbound requests for services (i.e., ssh, http, etc.) to your client. then again, maybe you have a better reason - why exactly do you want to "forward" the public ip?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    hello and welcome, proptag!

it may be possible to do what you describe, but you probably just need to use a firewall (iptables) on the linux box to forward inbound requests for services (i.e., ssh, http, etc.) to your client. then again, maybe you have a better reason - why exactly do you want to "forward" the public ip?
    Thanks for the welcome.

The client PC has software that requires it to have a non-NATed IP address. The ports it needs won't be well-defined so forwarding ports won't work unfortunately.

The linux box may need to serve up a webserver to just the client. So I'm also looking to filter/route packets to a certain address, say 192.168.10.10, out of the data stream to go to this webserver.

If you know of a way I can configure my linux box to do the IP address forwarding to the client, any help would be greatly appreciated. And if there's also a way to do the webserver filter/routing that'd be great too.

Thanks!