Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, penguins Recently I decided to turn my old linux desktop computer into a standalone home server, which will run torrents, ftp and so on. I connect to the Internet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Home server connected to local network and Internet at the same time

Hello, penguins

Recently I decided to turn my old linux desktop computer into a standalone home server, which will run torrents, ftp and so on. I connect to the Internet through wireless access point owned by ISP. I want home server to be connected to the Internet using wireless usb interface and to be connected to local router by ethernet. Access point covers 192.168.0.* network and router is set to use 192.168.3.*. But I cannot access Internet from home server when I bring both interfaces up. How can I route all outgoing traffic to wireless interface and make server still acessible from local network?

I'm not exactly sure what your problem is. I can't picture your setup from just what you say.

But 192.168.0.* and 162.168.3.* are 2 separate networks even if they are physically connected. Machines and processes can't automatically see each other just because they are physically or electrically connected. They must be on the same network node or you may have problems. Your connections need to be straight lines. *.*.0.* to *.*.3.* may not be a straight path.

Linux Newbie
    Really it's a workaround because AP owns 192.168.0.1 address and I cannot access Internet from wireless router when I connect it to AP using cable. My ISP tech support is too damn lazy & stupid to help me with this and I have no access to AP's control panel.

I guess maybe there is any way to make home server access Internet using connection between USB wireless interface and AP and to be available in 192.168.3.* (connected using eth0 interface) network as a FTP server at the same time.

//--------------------------------------------------

For example, computer that acts as a gateway is connected to 2 networks at the same time: outer and inner, routing traffic between two network cards (interfaces). Looking for a way to do the same on my home server
    Last edited by Schmidt; 09-13-2013 at 01:36 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm still not sure what you are trying to do. If you want to route traffic between two networks, you need something like a bridge. There is a bridge in ordinary Linux software, but I never had any success using it to route between two cards on one machine. You can find details on the bridge easily via Google.

However, if you are trying to use machine #1 which is connected to the internet as a wireless hotspot to connect another local network using the wireless card of machine #2, there is a gizmo which does exactly that at Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS EA-N66R Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit 3-in-1 AP/Bridge/Range Extender IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port Up to 450+450Mbps Wireless Data Rates WPA2

I used an earlier version of this item when I was moving a lot and renting rooms with wireless internet provided by the landlord. Using this box I was able to connect the 3 computer network in my room to the landlord's internet using his hot spot.