Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i have server with SATA HDD i saw load on this 8 core server ocassionally went from usuall 3.00 to 25.00 and while this spike i seen that one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

2000packets/5seconds on VPS, is that acceptable?

Hello, i have server with SATA HDD
    i saw load on this 8 core server ocassionally went from usuall 3.00 to 25.00 and while this spike i seen that one VPS has bigger number of

packets per time period..

2000 avg packets per 5seconds
    Others VPSs had 10-100 packets per 5 seconds.

Is this value normal, or something i have to worry about? any idea how to limit this on linux box?

thx
    Last edited by postcd; 09-29-2013 at 10:18 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Unfortunately, you do not provide enough information. This may be normal for your workload, but you give no indication of what that is, nor do you provide information about what you have done to try and diagnose this issue.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Packets are how many files your sending over the internet. the higher, the higher load. what is the average for your vps?

OpenSUSE.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dillon101001; 10-08-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Unfortunately, you do not provide enough information.
    Then please tell me what i need to paste, rpovide exactly, commands etc. so we add some value for further readers with same issue

Quote Originally Posted by dillon101001 View Post
    what is the average for your vps?
    As i mentioned in first post, it is around 60 average.

NodeWatch just logged 251 409 pps during 5 second interval from one of the VPS, please which linux commands, tool to use to discover App, IP which causing this?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    netstat may help. There are other tools, such as wireshark to see all your network activity to/from a specific address (you'll have to set a filter).

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    netstat may help. There are other tools, such as wireshark to see all your network activity to/from a specific address (you'll have to set a filter).
    Thx i tried tshark output, but im not much clever out of that. But netstat helped..
    netstat -p | grep VPSIPHERE > outputfile
    cat outputfile -n

There is around 140 connections (active?) to the port 475637/rtorrent:

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
    15 tcp 0 15400 VPSIPHERE:55997 CONNECTIP:SOMEPORTS ESTABLISHED 475637/rtorrent

Please can i anyhow determine packet number out of this, so to get idea what couses load?
    What i can do to limit this so these connections dont cause overload (if they really cause it)?

Code:
    # cat /proc/sys/vm/max_map_count
    # cat /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max (maximum number of threads/processes)
    # cat /proc/sys/kernel/pid_max (maximum number of unique process identifiers your system can support)
    thx alot

It sounds like your system in question is set up to be a bittorrent node. Do you have a bittorrent client running? Have you set it up to be a bittorrent server? If neither is the case, then it is possible you have been hacked and will want to change passwords, disable root logins, check /etc/sudoers to see if someone other than yourself have sudo privileges, change your own password, and tighten up your iptables (firewall) rules, both for IPv4 and IPv6. If the system is not facing the Internet, then check your router for tunnels for bittorrent traffic, disable remote administration of the router, and change the admin password.

Thank you, this client is allowed to run torrent. I just want to prevent overload of Host node as mentioned: "NodeWatch just logged 251 409 pps during 5 second interval" so the question is what are the linux tools, commands to limit this pps on this server..

Ok. You can configure most bt clients/servers to limit the number of connections and/or data rates supported in order to avoid overloading your system in this manner. Since I don't know what tools you are using I can't say much more than that right now.