Find the answer to your Linux question:
Brought my buddies HP desktop home to work on(needed a memory upgrade, installed Point Linux, ect) and all went well here at home. Plugged it into my modem via RJ-45 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Charter Broadband problems.

Brought my buddies HP desktop home to work on(needed a memory upgrade, installed Point Linux, ect) and all went well here at home. Plugged it into my modem via RJ-45 cable, picked up the Frontier DSL no problem at all, did the Point Linux Core install(DVD drive is only reading CD's so I had to do it the hard way via CD) then installed the full version through Terminal. Everything was working like a Swiss watch then I take it back to his house and plug it into the Charter box and NO INTERWEB. What could the problem be? I called Charter Tech Support and was told that they "Don't know anything about Linux and can't remote into the box to fix anything" so I'm pretty much on my own here.
    I've worked way too hard on this computer getting it up and running from the borked Windows Vista install that it had to give up now.
    What do I need to do to get it onto the interweb?

Trusted Penguin
    hi,

i have no exp w/Point Linux, but i'd start with the basics:

1. have you independently verified the CAT5 cable?

2. have other machines been able to get out on the internet via that Charter box ISP?

3. try/show these Linux commands:

Code:
    # show networking
    ip a

# show routing/gateway info
    route -n

# show DNS settings
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    i assume you are plugging the desktop into a modem or router provided by Charter?

His laptop gets onto the interweb fine via WiFi so I know there IS interweb available. The Charter box only has one RJ-45 port so there's no way to plug into a wrong port and I am plugged into that port.
    Don't know if the Cat5 cable is good or not. I guess I should take a known, good cable over to test. Also, can't do the commands right now because the system is at his house, not mine but when I get there I will hit the Terminal and see what I get.

P.S.
    Just tried the root terminal commands on my laptop(running Point Linux as well, Debian 7.1 based with MATE desktop) and got "command not found" so I wonder if those are for Fedora or a different version of Linux then the Debian we're running? I'll need to do a sudo ifconfig to find out the specs on the eth0.
    Last edited by TNFrank; 10-10-2013 at 04:52 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I did an ifconfig eth0 and it's up. My buddy is thinking that they only ran internet to the box in his bedroom and not to the one in the living room because they wanted to charge him for a second line for the other internet connection. So, I'm going to drop back and punt and order a WiFi PCI card from Newegg same as I did for my daughter's old desktop and that'll let him get hooked up via WiFi. More then one way to get this job done.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Just tried the root terminal commands on my laptop(running Point Linux as well, Debian 7.1 based with MATE desktop) and got "command not found" so I wonder if those are for Fedora or a different version of Linux then the Debian we're running? I'll need to do a sudo ifconfig to find out the specs on the eth0.
    add /sbin path to them, e.g.:

/sbin/ip
    /sbin/route

As I recall, some modems from Charter need to be power cycled when disconnecting from one computer and connecting to another. Something to do with the way the modem caches the MAC address of the connected device.
    Provided you have a viable ethernet cable, you should be good to go.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Tried that with no success, there's just no interweb at the modem in the living room. The only modem with interweb connectivity is the one in the bedroom so a PCI WiFi card is the only option at this point.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    The only modem with interweb connectivity is the one in the bedroom so a PCI WiFi card is the only option at this point.
    No, there is another...

Networking over power: Power Line Communication (HomePlug Powerline Alliance) or HomePLA. Good read here.