Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i want to make linux bash script which will periodically check for certain domain availability, i mean like every 100miliseconds. I want to ask which command i need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Post whois or nslookup.. for domain availability?

Hi, i want to make linux bash script which will periodically check for certain domain availability, i mean like every 100miliseconds.

I want to ask which command i need to use, so the result is not cached and i dont cause any inappropriate overload?

i see:
    whois domainname.com (when No entries found., domain is available)
    nslookup -type=ns domainname.com (when cant find nameservers, domain is expired or available)

So my questions what kind of command do you please suggest?

Does these whois providers have any limits above which they ban your IP?
    Last edited by postcd; 10-25-2013 at 08:52 PM.

You appear to know the commands already. whois and nslookup will return the information you want, don't they?

Why on earth would you want to do this every 100ms, though? It can take hours for a new domain registration to have any meaning or be visible - the information has to propagate around the Internet - all you'll be doing with this lookup is hike the load on your own ISP's DNS and on whois servers around the world.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    Why on earth would you want to do this every 100ms, though?
    i want to use some automated way to register domain as soon as it gets avaialble. just looking for good way, please if possible dont post if you dont have any valuable solution on what im asking for. thx

Quote Originally Posted by postcd View Post
    i want to use some automated way to register domain as soon as it gets avaialble. just looking for good way, please if possible dont post if you dont have any valuable solution on what im asking for. thx
    Valuable solution? Well if you don't want my opinion when you're about to do something that might be frowned up, get complaints to your ISP and potentially get your internet connection cut off, I'll keep quiet...

Initial question still not answered. Please can anyone share some helpfull info / idea on how to achieve? Thank you
    Last edited by postcd; 10-30-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Trusted Penguin
    a) settle down, Beavis, you are not paying anybody here for help

b) man usleep

you've got the commands you need, write yourself a script and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by postcd
    So my questions what kind of command do you please suggest?
    i suggest you listen to the sage advise of those who've been around the bend and have considerable experience in areas in which you are dabbling. i.e., if you are doing something where you are worried that the actions might cause you to get banned, then there is a probably a good reason for that ban. a point to keep in mind in the future. btw, your use of dramatically increased font size probably has an effect that is opposite to that which you intended.

thx, anyone have an idea how to discover i got banned by whois service or how to rotate thru more whois services?
    maybe loading various whois HTTP websites and extracting an output can be also idea to prevent ban

The problem you face is that querying a whois server every 100ms will look to them like a DoS attack. They'll report this kind of activity to your ISP, who will warn you and eventually kick your account.

Also the information you get back wont change all that often. The whois public database might get updated every couple of hours, or possibly even daily. And the information the whois server won't even be up-to-the-second accurate because of this. You won't know for absolute certain that a domain is available until you submit your registration request.

And on top of that the rules have changed recently, and if you register a domain that overlaps a trademark name or a company or other entity that has a valid claim over it, they can appeal your registration and you may end up losing it.

Set up a cron job to run your query using the commands you started this thread with, write a bit of a script to check the data returned, and have the cron job run a couple of times a day.

But hey - if youre doing this to grab a domain that you feel would represent your own product/company/personality well, then you can appeal to the registrar yourself to have the domain transferred from some cybersquatter. Take a look at this page from icann the bit that seems to be of most interest is in section 4.