Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there...new to the forums so any help is appreciated! I'm running a Lubuntu laptop acting as both a file-server and print server on a home wireless network via Samba. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Intermittend host resolution from Win7 client to lubuntu samba

Hi there...new to the forums so any help is appreciated!
    I'm running a Lubuntu laptop acting as both a file-server and print server on a home wireless network via Samba. I have several clients accessing this server (Windows 7 ultimate, Windows 7 home premium, iPads, iPhones, etc).

Whenever I power down the Windows 7 ultimate client, then power it up, it is unable to resolve the linux machine via hostname (either browsing or if I ping the hostname). When I ping the linux machine via IP address, it is able to resolve successfully. Then immediately after this, I can ping the linux machine via hostname and it works, and all is well with my world again (browsing to fileshare then works, filesharing then works, and printing then works, etc).

This behavior does not exist on the other clients (Windows 7 Home Premium or the iOS clients).

Any thoughts on this? Much appreciated!

Who is handling DNS, sounds like something is doing DDNS.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Who is handling DNS, sounds like something is doing DDNS.
    DNS is handled by my router (an integrated modem/router/access point from CenturyLink, specifically an "Actiontec C1000A"). I logged into the router and confirmed that Dynamic DNS is disabled. Also note that DHCP is enabled (configured to leverage default DNS servers to be allocated with DHCP requests). Not sure if that's relevant.

thanks.

Linux Newbie
    When you say that your router handles DNS, do you mean that it is running a DNS server? Most home routers provide a pass-through service for DNS rather than run a full-blown server managing caches etc. Did you add your various box names and addresses into this server?

In order to ping by hostname, a DNS server somewhere has to have the name and address recorded.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by voidpointer69 View Post
    When you say that your router handles DNS, do you mean that it is running a DNS server? Most home routers provide a pass-through service for DNS rather than run a full-blown server managing caches etc. Did you add your various box names and addresses into this server?

In order to ping by hostname, a DNS server somewhere has to have the name and address recorded.
    Thanks. To be more specific, see output from ipconfig /all from my windows 7 ultimate client:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-DB-DF-1E-D9-4E
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ecff:7674:7d8f:62d3%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:43:08 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, November 15, 2013 10:30:09 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCPv4 Class ID . . . . . . . . . : efe
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184605663
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-05-32-95-00-80-0F-11-01-30

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Note: 192.168.0.1 is my router, and 205.171.2.25 is a DNS server hosted by Qwest (my ISP).

Also note that my router assigns IPs to hosts via DHCP. I can login to my router to see connected hosts and assigned IPs, so I'm not entering host/IP pairs anywhere in DNS.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_suruncle View Post
    DNS is handled by my router (an integrated modem/router/access point from CenturyLink, specifically an "Actiontec C1000A"). I logged into the router and confirmed that Dynamic DNS is disabled. Also note that DHCP is enabled (configured to leverage default DNS servers to be allocated with DHCP requests). Not sure if that's relevant.

thanks.
    Unless you are setting up DNS your router probably should have DDNS enabled so it will dynamicly build a DNS config. Try enabling DDNS and see if that makes a difference.

Linux Newbie
    I am confused here.

doc, I thought ddns was so that you could have your router automatically contact someone like dyndns to update your domain record with their dns server.

bob. Is there any correlation between when your windows box is powered on and your linux box? All addressing for my "permanent" boxes on my network are hardwired. "Guests" must use my router's dhcp service. I've noticed that my router keeps a note of the hostname of any addresses it has assigned so maybe yours is doing likewise.

The thing I can't get past is that in order to resolve a hostname into an IP address, the hostname and its address must be known somewhere. usually, this is done by a dns server. I doubt qwest has your hostnames and addresses recorded in its dns server so it would seem that your router is doing something like dns for the hosts fow which it assigns addresses vis its dhcp service.

I'm intrigued.