Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys, I'll attempt to keep this detailed but short. Basically here's what I'm trying to accomplish: I have a centOS server with two interfaces (eth0 for public and eth1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Routing Issue

Hello guys,

I'll attempt to keep this detailed but short. Basically here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

I have a centOS server with two interfaces (eth0 for public and eth1 for private).

For my private interface, I have a 10.54.* IP assigned to it. Let's call the 10.54.* server, serverA.

Now, I have another server in the same VLAN, with the same setup, but on a different subnet. This server has IP 10.60.* assigned to it's interface. Let's call this server, serverB.

What I've been trying to do is create some static routes in serverA that will route 192.* network to ServerB. But here's what's interesting, I can ping serverB 10.60 IP without any issues from serverA, but when I try to ping a 192.* IP (static routed to 10.60), I get no reply, and looking at tcpdump in serverB, traffic is not even reaching it at all. Regardless of getting a ping reply or not, I would expect that tcpdump would at least show serverA sending 192* traffic to serverB.

Here's my static routes that I have setup on serverA:

---------
    # route -n
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    10.60.* 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 eth1
    192.168.2.0 10.60.* 255.255.255.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1
    -----------------

I've omitted the irrelevant stuff from the above output. Looking at the output above, you can see that 10.60.* (serverB IP), has a route through eth1 (interface that both servers communicate internally). And than the IP 192.168.2.0 is being routed 10.60.* also using the same interface.

So my question is: If I leave a ping running from serverA to 192.168.2.0, why is it that the ping is not going to serverB (10.60*) at all? Tcpdump in serverB shows that nothing is reaching that server at all from serverA.

Can anyone spot any mistakes with my routing? Please let me know if you need any more clarification. I've tried to keep this as short as possible without leaving too much out.

Linux Newbie
    Ok, it's been a while since I've studied some networking and I have not practised that much. However, I'd begin with the basics. Have you configured both ends of the interface or is that not necessary?