Find the answer to your Linux question:
....any Youtube videos? XP is SP2, if that's important. (is it?)...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

How do I print FROM XP TO Centos 6.3?

....any Youtube videos?

XP is SP2, if that's important. (is it?)

Why not setup Windows to print direct to printer via IP?

To share printers with Windows you will need to install and configure SaMBa so the Linux box looks like Windows shared printer. Here one document that talks about it, there are tons of articles on setting up Samba if you look around.

https://www.linux.com/learn/docs/ldp...hared-Printing

Linux Enthusiast
    How do I give the printer it's own IP address? It's a fairly simple one, how do I know whether I can?
    If I do, will I get an icon for that printer when I click "Print" in Notepad or whatever?

yes, samba is configured, i just wanted to know how to configure the printer IN samba.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    How do I give the printer it's own IP address? It's a fairly simple one, how do I know whether I can?
    If I do, will I get an icon for that printer when I click "Print" in Notepad or whatever?
    Most printers have a Setup menu and Network is one of the items, to print out the printer's network config and to change the network config. Check you printers documentation. Then in Windows part of the printer setup you can create a port for the printer and give it the IP of the printer and finish setting up like you would any other printer on Windows. Windows probably has a document on printing directly or printing via IP.

Linux Newbie
    resel.

I am confused.

Does your printer have its own network connection? If so, then Centos is a red herring and just follow your windows instructions for printing to a network attached printer.

If not, your question vis-a-vis the printer's IP address is irrelevant. Set up the Centos such that it will allow sharing of the printer in he way alluded to by dochp.

Linux Enthusiast
    The printer will be connected via USB to a laptop which is connected via Wifi to the XP machine. The laptop is centos.