Find the answer to your Linux question:
Why didn't MS make something completely their own? Also, does this mean that IP is the ONLY low level protocol that the kernel can handle? i.e. everything coming in on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

How come Samba uses IP addresses?

Why didn't MS make something completely their own?

Also, does this mean that IP is the ONLY low level protocol that the kernel can handle? i.e. everything coming in on that interface is handed to the part that decodes IP? For example airline booking systems use some completely different protocol (which are obsolete AFAIK, because who goes to a travel agency after the web anyway? But i've still seen a couple), can Linux handle that? TOGETHER with TCP/IP? i.e. it would have to check, for all incoming data, which protocol it belonged to.

Thanks.

There are other protocols but TCP/IP is the most used, but you can add support for others if you like. The thing to understand all this stuff works in layers and the different layers communicate with each other to do their work. So where applications or services are working is one layer but they work with lower layers for system services which network layer is another, moving all the way down to the physical layer where the OS and the hardware work. If interested in all this then there are tons of papers on OS design, Network models, Application design and programming and the Standards that govern these designs and implementations. Drilling down you will start seeing what each layer does and then how the layers pass things between them. This is where search engines start becoming your best friend.

Linux User
    Yeah, I already know a lot about that OS design type of stuff, but you're not answering my question.

How does it check which protocol incoming data belongs to?

Without delving to deeply into the mechanics of it, most of the useful information is included in each package header.
    What you would want to look for is further information on layers 3, 4 and 5 of the OSI model.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux User
    When stuff starts coming in at the interface, how does it know which protocol's header it is?

Linux Engineer
    Depends on which interfaces and protocols you're talking about. For instance, I have ethernet and wifi interfaces enabled on my laptop. They expect link layer framing that conforms to the standards or their respective protocols. I have a TCP/IP stack enabled which can parse the incoming packets and interpret the fields of the headers. You can read about it here: Transmission Control Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia