Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The ethernet frame includes a MAC address field. This identifies your interface. Ethernet frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If you run the command "ifconfig -a" in the output next ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

The ethernet frame includes a MAC address field. This identifies your interface. Ethernet frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you run the command "ifconfig -a" in the output next HWAddr you'll see your interfaces mac address. If your machine is sending a packet it will show up in the ethernet frames source field.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot, gregm! I'll do that first thing in the morning tomorrow and report back.

Cheers!

Just Joined!
    Hi again gregm,

I did some reading and installed netsniff-ng. I captured for starters, 10 frames and yup, I don't see my MAC address there. (I can paste here the output). I guess the next step would be to report this to the network admin here.

In the mean time is there a way of blocking that traffic or sending it to /dev/null or something?

Cheers,

Humberto

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    No. The only reason you're seeing it is that the sniffer puts the interface into something called promiscuous mode in order to read traffic that is on the wire but not addressed to your computer. It doesn't get passed up the network stack otherwise so there is really nothing you need to do.

Just Joined!
    Hmmm, but I do keep seeing a stream "entering" my box at 200kb/s, and so far today 2.76GB are reported as downloaded... Should just ignore it?

Linux Engineer
    Where are you seeing it? Downloaded to where? If you are running a packet sniffer in promiscuous mode you will see the line traffic (including arp requests and any sort of traffic that is within the parameters of the filter you're running). Otherwise, unless addressed to a listening socket traffic on the line is ignored by your OS. Your interface will see the packets that are on the line but unless you've registered interest in them they shouldn't make there way up the network stack.

Just Joined!
    I have Conky installed and have it setup so I can see a graph of incoming and outgoing traffic. Let's see if I can attach a capture-

conky.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2