Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, My name is Humberto from Panama, Central America and I'm posting for the first time here. I'm having a strange situation here. I have Conky setup and it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Strange stream. DHCP?

Hi all,

My name is Humberto from Panama, Central America and I'm posting for the first time here.

I'm having a strange situation here. I have Conky setup and it is detecting at eth0, an incoming stream of data at about 200kbps.

Searching around the net, I installed IPTraf to see if I could determin what/where is the stream coming.

What IPTraf shows is a constant traffic that seems to initiate as 0.0.0.0:68 and gets an answer from an internal IP on our network.

I searched a bit more and it seems that when a computer connects to a network, it sends a UDP signal from 0.0.0.0:68 (as it yet doesn't have an IP) to the DHCP server so it can get an IP.

The thing is, my box has a static IP, so it shouldn'Ąt be polling the DHCP server.

At least that's what I think it is doing.

My question would be: How do I stop my box from sending this signal as it already has a static IP? Or can it be another thing?

I'm running Linux Mint 16 (but this happened under 14, too), conected via RJ45 cable. Do I need to provide other info?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Humberto

Linux Guru
    What do you get when you run:
    Code:
     ps -ef | grep dhclient

Just Joined!
    I get:
    Code:
    ps -ef | grep dhclient
    nugar     6040  5991  0 14:26 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --colour=auto dhclient

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Well, you're not running dhclient. It would seem to be a bootp request. Did you manually configure or use network-manager?

Just Joined!
    I used network manager

Just Joined!
    Is there any way of stoping it?

Linux Guru
    Are you sure it is your computer initiating it? The initial request sent with 0000:68 as its address will go to all interfaces on a network looking for a response. If you are sniffing in promiscous mode you'd see requests coming from other computers as well.

Just Joined!
    I'm not sure at all! I just see to IPs that appear repeatedly on the IPTraf window, but it goes so fast that I don't know how to freeze the stream. In about 5 hours I've received about 6gb of info.

Linux Guru
    Then the first thing you need to do is to capture an example and check the MAC address of the packet against your MAC.

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I left the office and just now arrived home. I don't really know how to do that, so I'll go RTFM. But if you could point me to the right FM, that would be great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast