Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm now searching for a Gagibit router (a standard router 1 WAN 4-ports) which supports openwrt. My new ISP shall provide "FTTH(fibre to the home) Fibre Optic Broadband ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

ONT and cable router

Hi all,

I'm now searching for a Gagibit router (a standard router 1 WAN 4-ports) which supports openwrt.

My new ISP shall provide "FTTH(fibre to the home) Fibre Optic Broadband service" with bandwidth (Downstream and Upstream): 100Mbps/100Mbps. They don't use cable modem but ONT(Optical-fibre Network Terminal) which will be provided for connecting my router/PC.

I never used ONT(Optical-fibre Network Terminal) before neither I know what is this device?

I'm now looking for a standard Gigabit cable-router to match that device. I know a 100M cable-modem can be used but I expect having higher speed on local net work.

In the worst case if without a suitable router available at time of installation can my PC be directly connected to the ONT abovementioned?

PC Motherboard - ASUSTeK M5A97 R2.0
    1 x Gigabit LAN Controller
    1 x LAN (RJ45) port

Advice and suggestion would be appreciated. TIA

Rgds
    satimis

Before I moved I had fibre and the box they they gave is like a cable/DSL box from user point of view, it had the connection to their network feed, then 4 network ports and mine had wifi too. It was a router and I could connect to it and configure the router functions. You may want to get more info on the cababilities of the box they are going to supply you.