Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a D-Link DWL-G122 B1 wireless adapter with chipset RT2571 which corresponds to rt2500 driver in linux but since this specific driver is no longer available for my kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slow internet connection

I have a D-Link DWL-G122 B1 wireless adapter with chipset RT2571 which corresponds to rt2500 driver in linux but since this specific driver is no longer available for my kernel version (3.11), i had to use a windows driver using ndiswrapper. I have connection with the internet but my wifi signal is weak and sometimes my internet falls down.

What should i do to improve my adapter performance in order to keep a good and stable connection? Should i use another linux driver compatible with this adapter, perhaps rt73? Change some configurations? Change to a new and better adapter?

Just Joined!
    Generally, I'd advise spending the $$ on an adapter that's currently supported.

But whether that will increase your network speed depends upon whether the adapter is the bottleneck. If you speed up a part of the chain that's not the bottleneck, you won't see any difference.

If possible, you might try connecting your box with Ethernet, even if only temporarily, to see how much increase you get.

There are many possible reasons for slowness, including but not limited to: ndiswrapper, your IEEE-802.11G dongle, the weak Wi-Fi signal, whatever the wireless router is connected to (ISP), etc.

Good luck!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by polypagan View Post
    Generally, I'd advise spending the $$ on an adapter that's currently supported.

But whether that will increase your network speed depends upon whether the adapter is the bottleneck. If you speed up a part of the chain that's not the bottleneck, you won't see any difference.

If possible, you might try connecting your box with Ethernet, even if only temporarily, to see how much increase you get.

There are many possible reasons for slowness, including but not limited to: ndiswrapper, your IEEE-802.11G dongle, the weak Wi-Fi signal, whatever the wireless router is connected to (ISP), etc.

Good luck!
    This is what i know: with ethernet, the internet connection works very good, when i change it to the adapter, in the same place near the router, the internet connection is almost as slow as far away, even if the wifi signal is 98% strong. On Windows worked better than on linux, don't forget i'm using a windows driver using ndiswrapper. In the same place i installed my desktop, i have a laptop with windows but without wi-fi adapter, which has a stable internet connection.

Just Joined!
    Okay! So you have already done the experiment I suggested.

Now I suggest you find an adapter that you can afford and that is already known to work with Linux (This can be tough, since manufacturers sometimes use different chips in the same model adapter!). I suggest you buy it someplace where you can return it if necessary, just in case it doesn't work as well as you hope.

Even though WiFi is not technically as fast as ethernet, remember that the WAN (DSL/cable, whatever) isn't likely to be all that fast either.

Regards!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by polypagan View Post
    Okay! So you have already done the experiment I suggested.

Now I suggest you find an adapter that you can afford and that is already known to work with Linux (This can be tough, since manufacturers sometimes use different chips in the same model adapter!). I suggest you buy it someplace where you can return it if necessary, just in case it doesn't work as well as you hope.

Even though WiFi is not technically as fast as ethernet, remember that the WAN (DSL/cable, whatever) isn't likely to be all that fast either.

Regards!
    So basically you suggest me to find an adapter whose linux drivers are available to my kernel version? Alright, today i acquired two adapters (Belkin N150 F7D1101qaz and TP-Link TL-WN722N) and after the final tests i'm doing with my current adapter, i will test these ones (first the TP-Link one). Remembering that i'm looking for a stable internet connection, so i'll study all possibilities.

Just Joined!
    Great news, i just changed to my new adapters and it worked perfectly nice! No need to install any driver because it automatically gets from somewhere! I think i'm gonna throw away my old adapter, it seems that it has always given me many problems haha! Thanks for your help, sometimes we need to replace our old products, to get new better ones, and perhaps it is always the best solution for our problems!