Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm thinking that I can't (easily) solve a problem I'm having while trying to ssh into my desktop from outside my network. I live in university residence and unfortunately, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Accessing a desktop over two routers

Hi,
    I'm thinking that I can't (easily) solve a problem I'm having while trying to ssh into my desktop from outside my network. I live in university residence and unfortunately, my desktop is behind two routers. One is a personal router; I am able to forward port 22. However, I do not have access to the router in-between the internet and my personal router. Here's a bit of a diagram:
    Code:
    INTERNET > RESIDENCE > PERSONAL ROUTER > DESKTOP
    and a simple addressing scheme:
    Code:
    198.161.x.x (external) > 172.x.x.x > 192.168.0.x (personal LAN)
    Each room in the residence has it's own ethernet line; however, it seems that after checking other peoples' setups, the only commonality in addressing is that their line has an address of 172.x.x.x. Each person has (for the most part) its own router for a personal LAN (like myself) because then we have WiFi access. This means that even though I can forward port 22 on my personal router, I can't even access it within the building.

As I'm sure you can see (if I'm being clear enough), the whole setup is a complete mess. Now for my question. I need access to my desktop over ssh because there is software I have to use that is only x32 compatible, but I use an ARM-based chromebook at school. I'm not overly interested in installing crouton, so SSH is (or so I believe) the best option for me.

Is there any (relatively easy) way to SSH into my desktop in this mess?

Thanks,
    Nathan

Linux Engineer
    Not possible.

Just Joined!
    That's what I thought. Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close