Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys so I've been testing distros and decided to go to linuxmint (a long favorite from previous installs) but I am finding that I cannot connect to the internet. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to connect to the internet

Hi guys so I've been testing distros and decided to go to linuxmint (a long favorite from previous installs) but I am finding that I cannot connect to the internet. I have tried pinging the router it says its unreachable. I've been searching this on the internet for a bit now and have yet to find a concrete solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Linux Engineer
    We'd love to help you, but we definitely need to know more about your computer. Are you using ethernet or wifi? Laptop or desktop? Is your wifi card enabled / ethernet plugged in?

what is the output of 'sudo ifconfig' ?

Linux Guru
    Code:
    mintwifi
    and

Code:
    inxi -F
    reveals all.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I am using ethernet, it uses a realtek adapter built in to the motherboard. I did find I was able to get it working under 32bit (the version i was speaking of was 64bit) This is a desktop, I do not currently have it up and running as it is late and I am preparing for bed but tomorrow Ill run ifconfig again and post the results

Linux Guru
    In addition to the: sudo ifconfig command, try route -n to get information.

Just Joined!
    Well guys it also turns out that not all my usb ports are read on 64bit and 32 bit resolves all these isssues so though it may not be the best solution its the one Im taking.

Quote Originally Posted by inolle View Post
    Well guys it also turns out that not all my usb ports are read on 64bit and 32 bit resolves all these isssues so though it may not be the best solution its the one Im taking.
    That doesn't make sense your system is either 64-bit or not. Now what happen with USB ports is some can provide more power to devices than others. Like on a desktop system sometimes the front ports can't handle devices that need more power and they need to be pluged in the back ports that typically are on the motherboard bus not just heads.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Just Joined!
    Heres what i know I have a 64 bit cpu i have run both the 32 bit and 64 bit variants of the distro, the 32 bit has not had issues well the 64 bit has. Im sure the issue is deeper than that. I do know that my mother board is one that has been reported with having issues in linux. Also on the usb note the only things I,am powering is my keyboard and mouse. With the 32 bit they are accepted on all ports front and back on the 64 bit i have to pick and choose which ports (aka like half of my 8 rear ports work in 64bit)