Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'd like to set up a VPN for those times when I'm out and about and want to connect to the interweb with my laptop through a public wifi. I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Any good, free VPN's for Linux?

I'd like to set up a VPN for those times when I'm out and about and want to connect to the interweb with my laptop through a public wifi. I've read that using a VPN with https is a good way to stay secure but I'm having a hard time finding one that works with Linux and that's also free to use. So, does anyone have a good and free VPN that they're using that they could share with the rest of us? Thanks.

P.S.
    Arch/Manjaro compatibility would be great but I also have an Ubuntu box I could use as well.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Openvpn comes to mind.
    But for the server part you will either need a (trusted and paid) provider or you maintain one yourself on a host with a public IP.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Linux Engineer
    Have you looked at openvpn?

Linux Engineer
    As long as TNFrank's router keeps a stable IP address he can open the appropriate ports and run it internally. Most ISP's don't change your IP very often anyway so even on DHCP he can probably make it work.

So I could set up my router to be used as a VPN then? If that's the case then I can just use whatever wifi I'm getting publicly to link to my router and go from the router to the interweb then. What would I need to get that to work? Would I just install OpenVPN on my laptop then set up the router or what? I'm good at installing Distros and getting them set up but have never really done any Networking so that's all new to me.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    So I could set up my router to be used as a VPN then? If that's the case then I can just use whatever wifi I'm getting publicly to link to my router and go from the router to the interweb then. What would I need to get that to work? Would I just install OpenVPN on my laptop then set up the router or what? I'm good at installing Distros and getting them set up but have never really done any Networking so that's all new to me.
    You would install OpenVPN (or somesuch) server inside your network (i.e. on your Ubuntu box) and open the required ports in your router. You install the client on your laptop and point it at the public IP of your router - the one assigned by your ISP. You may want to check that your ISP doesn't routinely change your assigned IP but in my experience they rarely change.

If they do routinely renew your lease and give you a different IP you'd have to do it differently.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    As per the others who replied here, I use OpenVPN. You DO need a static IP address for the router. You can download and install the commercial version (already configured for use) for free, with 2 user licenses. If you need more licenses (concurrent licenses), they cost $5 USD per user / year. Otherwise, you can install openvpn yourself on your server and configure it yourself. A lot more work, but free for any number of users.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    you don't need any static IP. you can create a script to send you an email with the IP address every hour or so.

-Port forward ssh from router to home linux box
    -start openssh server with root login disabled and allowing only keys and changing ssh port from 22 to over 20000
    -you don't need to port forward openvpn on your home router.
    -create a ssh tunnel port forwarding openvpn port to any port on loopback address (on the coffee laptop )
    -connect to vpn through ssh tunnel to your loopback address.
    -enjoy

Using this method, openvpn fingerprint cannot be detected at all as you are connecting through ssh tunnel, so if the coffee place is denying vpn, you are good to go. The disadvantage is that it will be a bit slower than plain vpn connection.

Hope this helps.

Cheerio
    Last edited by ixion22600; 05-22-2014 at 08:44 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Good suggestions, but a bit onerous for most unsophisticated users. Thanks anyway for the comments.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!