Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gregm
  • 1 Post By docbop
I am trying to understand the implementation of TCP/IP stack in the linux kernel space. And I came across multiple-thing which I am not sure about. 1. What is meaning ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question TCP/IP stack data structure in the Linux kernel space

I am trying to understand the implementation of TCP/IP stack in the linux kernel space. And I came across multiple-thing which I am not sure about.

1. What is meaning of non-linear sk_buff, and how does it differ from linear sk_buff?

2. If I want to get the timestamp option in the TCP header to obtain Timestamp value and timestamp reply, how can I extract it from sk_buff using tcphdr structure?

3. Changing the value of the timestamp requires, recalculating the TCP checksum ,right? So how can I do that in terms of functions required in the coding?

Linux Guru
    1) non-linear sk_buff indicates that the buf refers to paged data
    2) if any options exist they immediately follow the tcphdr - so you can calculate the position from the length of the tcphdr struct
    3) To understand what needs to happen to recalculate the checksum I recommend a web search. It does need to be done but you may be able xor the bytes you changed with the checksum.
    ha-as likes this.

Here's a description appear it's a wrapper around a standard TCPIP packet.

How SKBs work
    ha-as likes this.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close