Hiya, I'm just seing if any one can help me out with a probelm I'm having or point me in the right direction.

I am running slackware 10, with the included xfx kernel(2.4.26). I am having trouble getting the network card set up. The shuttle SK41g uses the realtek 8139 chipset. I'd post a full lspci , dmsg output ect, but I got no way of transfering it on to this computer.

lspci reports this about my nic
00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev10)
When I boot up, the 8139too module is loaded acording to dmesg | grep eth0
eth0: Realtek RTL8139 at 0xe0b3c000, 00:30:16:60:1a:0f IRQ 11
eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
eth0: link up, 100mbpss, full duplex, lpa 0x41B1
8139too is listed when I do an lmod aswell. However from looking at over peoples lmod's duing my searching for a fix, I noticed they also had mii in there modules list wich used the 8139too driver, I don't. I've tried to modprobe mii and added it sucessfuly, but is unused, so I try a modprobe -r 8139too to re insert it but it wont let me as it says it is in use.

The bit which seperates me from all the info I have come across is that if I type ifconfig nothing happens, it freezes the open console, also there is no /dev/eth0 device when I do a ls /dev.

Any hints, on how to solve this?

By I've had the network working in knoppix and mandrake 10 with no hassle other than giving it an Ip address and pointing it to my router.

I've set up the ip address for this, but I can't see that being a problem as there isn't a /dev/eth0 device even though the module is loaded.

Thanks Adam