Find the answer to your Linux question:
so, i have a question. Scenario: A the past My friend and I install minecraft or other game on our PCs. We are both on the same LAN. Our computers ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu Server 14.04 server and hosting game server

so, i have a question.

Scenario: A the past
    My friend and I install minecraft or other game on our PCs. We are both on the same LAN. Our computers recognize eachother, and we are able to play together with one computer acting as the host also.

Scenario: B the present
    I brought a rackmount server (dell)(Ubunut 14.04) . Server conects to the internet browses the net with no issues at all. My PC connects to the internet no problem. I am trying to host a server amongst other training goals, SO, I open up the game server on the server, game client on the PC. PC well attempt to connect to the server, but it always says "TIMED OUT". the server well see my PC, but instead of connecting "PC lost connection" do you open ports on servers the sameway you would on a router or??

so, is there something that i might be missing?? Ive checked the ports on the router, they are open.

the only variables i know of between A and B

1) rackmount server (Which ive never used but found one cheap enough that i decided to get)
    2) Ubuntu 14.04 and windows/osx as opposed to just windows/osx
    3)no actual game client on the server, only the server client.
    4) does having a gui on "1)" do anything? that might hinder?

This isnt about just gaming, i could actually care less about "game" I intend to go to school for a CS degree, so my server, exists for 4 reasons
    1) my education
    2) my education
    3) my education
    4) other stuff.

Just Joined!
    bump for the day

Linux Guru
    How are you addressing them? Are you using natted addresses or registered names?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    How are you addressing them? Are you using natted addresses or registered names?
    I would assume nat. Nat would be a more "default setting"? I do have a static on my client though. But. I did have the issue before a static ip on client

Linux Guru
    You mentioned hosting a server - my question is really whether you're trying to connect to the server via the internet or your intranet. Your router will handle them differently.

Can you ping the server from your client? Connect to it via ssh?

Just Joined!
    well, it all works now suddenly just wound up resetting the router, but not sure what went wrong, as i didnt have any known funky settings on it.. oh well :X

Just Joined!
    I didnt run ping, but i did run tracerote from mac to server, and it was all 3.14ms or less, on all columns and only one hop(row) i guess is what its called?