Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have 2 main PCs, one is a Dual Athlon with enough RAM and CPU to both run Pale Moon (a "optimized" Firefox) and also Thunderbird. This runs Slackware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question IMAP Email questions - thunderbird AND console email program

Hi,

I have 2 main PCs, one is a Dual Athlon with enough RAM and CPU to both run Pale Moon (a "optimized" Firefox) and also Thunderbird.
    This runs Slackware based recent Porteus x86_64 Linux.

The other one, a notebook, is not capable of 64 bit arch, it also runs the same Porteus version, but the i686, has only a single core CPU and the GPU used shared RAM. It also gets waaay to slow when I try running both Pale Moon and Thunderbird.

The first PC has Thunderbird configured with IMAP to my mail account.

Now I want one slim console based email Program for the notebook, and I want it via IMAP as well...

The issue, I want when I read and read & replied to a email., or moved or deleted an email on my notebook that my "main" PC also reflects these things.

Would that work? When I delete an email, it gets also deleted on the email server, that's what I want.
    So, with deleting there should be no issue, the "main PC" should not again list any deleted email.
    Or would that not work out of the box like so?

Also, with moved emails, would that work with server "subfolders" as well as with local folders, when I created the same folders on both IMAP program databases of course?
    Last edited by Rava; 08-08-2014 at 02:18 AM. Reason: forgot "email" in thread title...

of course, that's one of the main points of imap.
    i don't know exactly what happens when you keep local copies of mails, but it can all be set up to work exactly as you described.

btw, have you considered seamonkey for the older laptop?
    it's mozilla browser & mail in one program, much lighter than firefox + thunderbird.

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    of course, that's one of the main points of imap.
    i don't know exactly what happens when you keep local copies of mails, but it can all be set up to work exactly as you described.
    (emphasis by me)
    That's one of the details I learned... And why I don't want POP for any email account. Unless it may be one set up as a honeypot or such, e.g. an account I not really care about when it comes to writing and receiving...

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    btw, have you considered seamonkey for the older laptop?
    it's mozilla browser & mail in one program, much lighter than firefox + thunderbird.
    I checked that out as well... when I recall right, some needed Plug Ins gave me issues...

Now I switched to Pale Moon. That's the most neat Firefox variant so far. Check it out!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    When you say "slim console based email Program" I assume you mean non-GUI so that it requires less system resources. If so, then check out Alpine it's designed precisely for that purpose. I've been using a mix of Seamonkey, Thunderbird and Alpine (it was Pine before that) on a variety of Linux, MacOS and even Windows systems for years.

It mostly just works but I will say that the whoever is running your mail service can impact how things like deleting mail works. For instance, with GMail's version of IMAP deleting a message in one client doesn't immediately cause it to drop from other clients who are connected to the server in parallel. You have to explicitly "expunge" the mail marked as deleted. There's a little dust-broom icon for that in Thunderbird and it means typing "x" in Alpine for instance. Other IMAP server configs will automatically expunge when you delete, regardless of how you configure your IMAP client.

And as nihili said, there are probably ways to configure the IMAP client settings for local message caching and server synchronization that might confuse things. Meaning, the local copies of your messages might be out of sync with the server with some configurations. But the design of IMAP is capable of doing what you want.

So, finally had the time to install and setup alpine.

Works fine, reads all folders, lists emails, I can read the emails, I can delete ("expunge") emails, or move them to local folders.
    Not figured out how to move an email from an IMAP folder to another, though.

But the main issue: I cannot send emails! Does alpine need an external command for that, like qmail or sendmail?

The error I get is this:
    Code:
    [Mail not sent: Bad sequence of commands]