Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I need to have a windows machine for my school classes for networking, and i am sick of all the virus problems that comes with windows. Is it possible to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

is it possible.

I need to have a windows machine for my school classes for networking, and i am sick of all the virus problems that comes with windows. Is it possible to route my windows machine to the net through the linux box to filter out the viruses, add ware and such crap that comes with the windows os. any responses are greatly appreciated.
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd

Linux Engineer

Linux isnt filtering nothing... So the only thing a linux would help for, is would be to "firewall" your internet connection... Viruses are program you've installed yourself...
    IF you really need something good for spyware, adware and trojan protection, dload a program called PREVX its really good.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

It is possible to scan all http traffic for known viruses using some tool and a proxy server (squid). I do not have any expierence with this specific program but it looks promising:
    http://www.jackal-net.at/tiki-read_a...hp?articleId=1
    I\'m so tired .....

And you're off to a good start if you tighten up the Windows box like a drum. Use a firewall on it and keep your iptables rules (on the Linux box routing to it) strict. Don't forget to keep up regular update procedures and virus scans.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    thanks guys. now let me see if i have this right. to use my linux box as a firewall (hardware wise) i need two network cards. I plug my cable modem in to one of the network cards and then i plug my second card into the router where i would plug in internet. then i would just hook my other machines into the router where it has the 4 ports for other computers right. or am i totaly off base.
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD

That could work if you enable NAT on your Linux machine using iptables and switch off NAT on your router and let it function as a switch/hub.. But there are other possibilities as well.
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux Newbie
    what are the other possibilties. is there a way that would be easier, or are they all about the same

One of them is to remove the gateway from the windows machines in the configuration and redirect all traffic from and to the Internet via the proxy.
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux Newbie
    is that something that would be difficult for a noob to linux

Linux Engineer
    Basicly, your linux box would ONLY serve as firewall...
    nothing again virus or so,...
    for proper virus protection under windows, use prevx, (it will popup eerytime a program will want to access protected windows file), use a firewall (tiny perso firewall, zone alarm) ONLY with those, if you know what youre doing, NO viruses will harm your computer, I only had those for 1 full years, without ANY virus getting in. Viruses dont get into your computer on there own, they either get in from an unprotected port (windows security hole) which is fairly easy to pretty with any cheap firewall, or by a manual install.(attachment, dloaded program from P2P network, ... )
    a linux firewall isnt nescessary in your case and will only take time to set it up. And in the end you'll still have to get the proper protection on your windows...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast