Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Network connection Analyse tool wanted

Hi all
    When I open a VPN connection to our company to work from home I - sometimes - seem to have a very bad connection.
    The VPN tunnel crashed and need some time to re-establish ...
    Any ssh or Citrix sessions that use the tunnel will break eventually as well.

Now I'm looking for a net analysis tool to proof my ISP that he's a bad line ... at least sometimes
    But the thing I'm looking for is not the "usual send out a ping and measure the latency time" stuff. But more something that take the active connection, check the timestamp of a departing package and check when it gets acknowledged.
    Also keep track of resent and lost packets

So I'd configure the app to check outgoing packets on TCP port 50 (I'm using the CISCO VPN Client) and how fast/slow they travel for and backwards.

I'll gonna install this SW on my home-router which is a Banana-Pi with 4 Ethernet ports ...
    Does anyone know a suitable SW ?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, there are tools like tcpdump and wireshark that can help determine if data coming into the VPN is corrupted. It can do the timestamp and latency stuff as well with some effort on your part. FWIW, I use a Cisco VPN for my work - our VPN server is 2000 miles away and our intranet that it connects me to is world-wide. It works pretty well. I haven't seen too many problems like that though occasionally things go wonky due to environmental conditions (too much local rain, snow, wind, bad exterior cables, etc.) that can cause problems with the "last mile" connection.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

So, there's no "ready made" application that monitors the bitstream and calculates statistics ?
    (except for CISCO build in stuff ...)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!