Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The plot thickens - I already have the nic's tcp/ip set up with the correct DNS servers. From XP, I can successfully ping an authentic IP address as well as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

The plot thickens - I already have the nic's tcp/ip set up with the correct DNS servers. From XP, I can successfully ping an authentic IP address as well as various other hostnames - just not my ISP's hostname (the important one right now). Since all this hardware appears to be working when I boot into linux (the pinging anyway), it must be a Windoze setting that's causing the error...

edit: Ok, I pinged again from linux to get the ip address and put that in Outlook instead of the hostname. I can now send and receive mail as a workaround. Why would XP not be able to resolve that particular hostname???

Linux Guru
    Good thinking...

There are a few reasons why, normally i think it comes down to a screwed tcp/ip stack - or one on the blink. You can reset the TCP/IP stack in windows XP, consider giving this a go:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357

Jason

Linux User
    Thanks for all your help on this one, Jason. I appreciate all you're good suggestions!

I'll try resetting the stack like you suggested, but if it doesn't work, I can at least always use the ip address. It's just disconcerning that it's having trouble with that one hostname.

I'll post the stack resetting results when I get around to it.

Cheers!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    No probs..

just had another thought...

if shawmail.cg.shawcable.net is the fully qualified domain name of your ISP's mail server... In linux, and in windows, do you have this in your mail application? or are you just using "shawmail"?

In linux, you can put the line: "search cg.shawcable.net" at the top of resolve.conf, then typing "ping shawmail" would automagically append cg.shawcable.net to the end of it.

In winXP it does not work the same - in your mail client you would need the FQDN:shawmail.cg.shawcable.net

Jason

Linux User
    Well, resetting the stack did nothing.

However, your last suggestion of using the FQDN did the trick! I can ping it from XP and send & receive mail using it. Sure beats have an IP addy hard coded...

Thanks again, Jason!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2