Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ifconfig Command Does Not Show IPv4 Address

I did a network restart on my RHE Santiago 6.5 server and lost all connectivity. when i do an IF config, i dont see any ipv-4 information.

i did an # vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and i can see the ipaddress, gw and netmask information there. i tried to bring the nic down and back up but still no ipv4 information.

with that said, when i setup the server a year or so ago, i renamed eth0 and eth1 to c4c&network as i had multiple nics and wanted to know which is what. when i try to edit vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-c4c or vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-network. it says permission denied. i dont recall putting a password on any of this. i made sure i am the superuser.

any idea what my options are to bring this server back up?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    -->
    Check the permissions on the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory as well as the files in particular. They directory and files should be read access only for non-root users. You say you are the superuser (root?) - are you sure? How are you getting superuser access? Please show details.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!