Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Connection timing out for Web App hosted on a Virtual Machine

Hi all,

I have a CentOS 6.7 Virtual Machine running on a Windows 7 host. I have configured a bridged network to the guest, and I have a Static IP Address for the guest. I am trying to host a web application (using Shiny-Server Framework for R).

From the host, I can ping the guest IP address.
    From the guest, I can ping the host IP address.

When I browse to localhost:3838, the web application loads perfectly on the guest Firefox browser.

However, the connection times out whenever I try to access <Static_IP_Address:3838.

On the guest, I ran an nmap for the port 3838. nmap2.png

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can check?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What's with the '<' before the Static_IP_Address? A typo? Also, if you are running a firewall on your Linux VM you may need to disable iptables and/or SELinux services.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    What's with the '<' before the Static_IP_Address? A typo? Also, if you are running a firewall on your Linux VM you may need to disable iptables and/or SELinux services.
    Yes, it was just a typo in my forum post.

I will try to disable iptables and the SELinux services. I'll post back with results.

Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_feesher View Post
    Yes, it was just a typo in my forum post.

I will try to disable iptables and the SELinux services. I'll post back with results.

Thanks!
    I disabled iptables and now I can access the web application from <Guest_Static_IP_Address>:3838 from the host! That is something that I have not been able to do.

But for some reason, I can't access <Guest_Static_IP_Address>:3838 from any other computer on the network. So I can access the web application being served on the guest, from a browser on the host. But I can't access it from another computer on the network.

Any ideas why?

For posterity purposes, I solved this problem by changing the Listening Port from 3838 to Port 8080.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    -->
    Your router / firewall may be blocking web connections by ports other than the normal http and https ports. You might want to check its configuration.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!