Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unable to access CDN-type resources

Hi all,

I currently have a Debian box set up basically as a router. It provides DHCP, DNS, NAT, firewall, and is bridged between all interfaces except for the WAN port... all the stuff you'd expect from a home router except for the wireless.

It worked flawlessly until "some time ago" when I discovered that when browsing websites on any network clients (such as my desktop, tablet, laptop, phone, etc) which reference content from other servers are never loading (or loading extremely slowly), for example, on eBay, the main site (www ebay co uk) loads but then the Messages section never loads (mymesg ebay co uk), or on linuxforums.org, Firefox is telling me it is waiting on "www lijit com".

I'm pretty sure I've been through the entire configuration but it has very slowly grown to this point over such a long period of time (2 years) that I am struggling to remember what each line of config does and how they all interact. I am loath to "wipe and start again" as I don't believe this helps me to learn from any mistakes I may have made.

Would someone be so kind as to help me start the diagnosis process for this?

Oh, and plot twist: Web browsing from the server is absolutely fine.

Thank you,
    BM.

EDIT: I've cleared the bridge config and everything now works as expected. I'm still wondering where the problem was though?
    Last edited by bm256; 12-17-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: New information

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    -->
    Detritus in the bridge config cache? Sorry, never had this issue.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!