Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why is traceroute failing at 172.16.7.2

I tried to traceroute from my home PC to my server which is located on another continent and it timed out. Also i was unable to use that server as my web browser proxy, it timeouts.

But i also tried traceroute to google IP and it worked.

My question is what is the cause and why it timeouted at IP 172.16.7.2?

screenshot:

Thank you
    https://zeronet.io - Open, free and uncensorable websites, using Bitcoin cryptography and BitTorrent network

RFC1918. The IP Address you are pinging/tracerouting to is a non-routed IP Address.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    RFC1918. The IP Address you are pinging/tracerouting to is a non-routed IP Address.
    im pinging normal IP, not one mentioned in this topic title.
    sometimes traceroute goes without issues and sometimes it timeout as in the screenshot i provided..
    https://zeronet.io - Open, free and uncensorable websites, using Bitcoin cryptography and BitTorrent network

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What is after 172.16.7.2?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Where is your server located, and where are you located. With recent earthquakes a lot of undersea cables have been damaged, and the results have been a lot of this sort of problem.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Lightbulb

> What is after 172.16.7.2?

thx for asking, an IP address of my ISP, probably some local town server/router of my ISP. Im on wifi.

> Where is your server located, and where are you located. With recent earthquakes a lot of undersea cables have been damaged, and the results have been a lot of this sort of problem.

server im pinging is in the Jacksonville/US and im pinging from Central Europe. thx

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    -->
    Central Europe - Germany, Austria, Poland, Romania, where? Post the output from traceroute here please. Thanks.

Ok, traceroute shows over 60 hopes between here and there (here being near Chicago), and ping isn't getting through yet. I quit after 121 packets sent...

Personally, I think that there are issues with one (or more) of the gateways between there and here. Contact your ISP's tech support team and see if they can trace it down better.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!