Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Dongle and DNS

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dongle and DNS

...so today I was having an issue with the dongle I use to connect to the net - it's a 3G dongle with Wifi, which lets I think 5 puters/phones surf the net at the same time. I had just switched it on, and my site was coming really slowly, so I decided to switch it off and on - sometimes this solves the problem. But after I did that and Linux reconnected to the Wifi, I couldn't go to any site! It kept saying "Cant find server". Could someone please explain this? The *dongle*, when connecting to the net gets the DNS server IP address, right? And then when client computers connect to it, how is this DNS IP address sent to each computer? If something messes up here, how does one fix it? Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Post the output of nslookup using a well-known site such as Google, and also post the full contents of /etc/resolv.conf
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

-->
    This is what I have found:
    To get IP settings automatically using DHCP, click Obtain an IP address automatically, and then click OK.
    To specify an IP address, click Use the following IP address, and then, in the IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway boxes, type the IP address settings. To specify IPv6 IP address settings, do one of the following:
    To get IP settings automatically using DHCP, click Obtain an IPv6 address automatically, and then click OK.
    To specify an IP address, click Use the following IPv6 address, and then, in the IPv6 address, Subnet prefix length, and Default gateway boxes, type the IP address settings.

$spacer_open
$spacer_close