Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question BIND master trying to update through NAT

Good morning, all!
    Just a quick question on BIND behaviour on a RHEL machine:
    Current setup is 1 master, 3 slaves. When I change a record and issue a reload, the master apparently broadcasts the changes and the slaves get two updates: one from the private address of the master that is accepted, and one from the public address of the master that gets rejected.
    The named.conf has no provision for broadcast and is specifically configured to notify the private address of the slaves.
    Any notion as to why the reload goes out the public address even though it's not configured to do so?

Thanks to all for looking!

Gregg

Have you got your slaves publicly available and resolvable? In otherwords, have you got your master communicating with the externally resolvable address, in which case it will force traffic out and then back in.

Just Joined!
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by Arola1982 View Post
    Have you got your slaves publicly available and resolvable? In otherwords, have you got your master communicating with the externally resolvable address, in which case it will force traffic out and then back in.
    The slaves are publickly available and resolvable, but named.conf on the master server only has the private IP addresses configured. Also, the slave server configs are to only accept from the private address of the master.

Next time I update I'll set up a tcpdump and watch packets out. Maybe I'll catch something in the net.....

$spacer_open
$spacer_close