Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
[root@frank ~]# nslookup frank Server: 192.168.0.5 Address: 192.168.0.5#53 Name: frank.mycompany.com Address: 192.168.0.155 C:\>nslookup frank Server: bigserver.mycompany.com Address: 192.168.0.5 Name: frank.mycompany.com Address: 192.168.0.155 Everything looks perfect. Just one thing more. Have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[root@frank ~]# nslookup frank

Server: 192.168.0.5
    Address: 192.168.0.5#53

Name: frank.mycompany.com
    Address: 192.168.0.155

C:\>nslookup frank
    Server: bigserver.mycompany.com
    Address: 192.168.0.5

Name: frank.mycompany.com
    Address: 192.168.0.155
    Everything looks perfect. Just one thing more. Have you checked if the W2K DNS server is answering to windows boxes(just on case there is some firewall or routing issues with DNS replies from W2K to windows boxes)?

I think the scenario is FC3 <> DNS info flowwing <> W2K <> DNS Info Blocked <> Windows box. So give a feedback on that and we will see.

afrolinux

Just Joined!

I have a similar DHCP hostname problem

I have a similar problem with DHCP and accessing a FC3 box by its short name. I'm a beginner-average Linux user and an advanced Windows user.

Instead of using a Win2K box as the DHCP server, I'm using a stand alone wireless router/access point with DHCP enabled on it. I have a FC1 box and a FC3 box on this network named "php" and "php2" respectively. On the FC1 box, I went into system-config-network, DNS tab, and set the hostname as "php". I've tried this on the FC3 box as well. From a windows machine on the same network, I can ping the FC1 box using the short name "php" (using the command "ping php"). When I try this to the FC3 box using the command "ping php2", I get nothing and it can't find it. I'd like to use the shortname to access it locally via FTP, HTTP, NetBIOS/Samba, SSH, etc. I can successfully do this to the FC1 box. For example, on the FC1 box with Samba setup, I can browse and connect to it via Windows Explorer by using "\\php\sharename".

My router does not have any type of DNS tables I can force. I'd like to replicate how the FC1 acts on the network. Here's some information I hope helps:

FC3 does not have DHCP running.
    FC1 does not have DHCP running.
    FC3 has the "/etc/hosts" file pointing to itself with both short and fully qualified name.
    FC1 has the "/etc/hosts" file pointing to itself with both short and fully qualified name.
    FC3 has the "/etc/resolv.conf" file pointing to the router "nameserver 192.168.1.1"
    FC1 has the "/etc/resolv.conf" file pointing to my ISP's nameservers and not the router
    FC3 using system-config-network has the eth0 device properties to set the Hostname to "php2". I've tried checking and unchecking the box "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider" and nothing works.
    FC3 can "ping php2" successfully to its loopback 127.0.0.1
    FC1 can "ping php" successfully to its loopback 127.0.0.1
    FC3 cannot "ping php" successfully
    FC1 cannot "ping php2" successfully
    FC1 appears in the router's attached devices list with its short name (hostname)
    FC3 appears by IP address in the router's attached devices list but the device name is null (empty).
    FC3 has its firewall and SELinux disabled (I'm trying anything to get this to work)

Here's some other info that may help:

[root@php etc]# ifconfig -a
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:01:02:6A:36:2E
    inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:5059 errors:59 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:61
    TX packets:5272 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:505875 (494.0 Kb) TX bytes:2850173 (2.7 Mb)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:2900 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:2900 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:2445656 (2.3 Mb) TX bytes:2445656 (2.3 Mb)

[root@php2 ~]# ifconfig -a
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:76:CF:5C:86
    inet addr:192.168.1.4 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::204:76ff:fecf:5c86/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:358 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:341 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:32316 (31.5 KiB) TX bytes:33377 (32.5 KiB)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xd000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:1672 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1672 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:2188286 (2.0 MiB) TX bytes:2188286 (2.0 MiB)

sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
    NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Cuong

Just Joined!

DHCP hostname problems fixed in Fedora Core 3 FC3 !

All,

I finally figured it out after many hours of playing. Here's the complete set of instructions to get your Fedora Core (FC) box working in a DHCP environment where computers can call it by its hostname. FYI, I currently have the firewall and SELinux disabled as I write these instructions. The quotes are used to denote literals. Please remove them if copying this text.

1. When installing FC, have the box "Use dynamic IP configuration (BOOTP/DHCP)" checked. After install, you can run the command "netconfig".
    2. After install, run the command "system-config-network" and goto the Devices tab. Select the NIC you're using (currently eth0). Click the Edit button. In the DHCP Settings area, enter the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN, such as mybox.domain.com) and check the "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider" checkbox. Click OK.
    3. In the same window, goto the DNS tab. Enter the shortname (for lack of a better term) in the hostname box. For example, the shortname could be "mybox". Goto File --> Save. Click OK to the message box. Close this window.
    4. Modify "/etc/hosts" by adding a new line after the localhost line. It should be "127.0.0.1 mybox.domain.com mybox". This points back to itself for the FQDN and the shortname.
    5. Now here's the trick apparently to get the shortname to register with your local DHCP server. BTW, I'm using a stand alone wireless router and not an upstream Linux or Windows server. From the Applications menu (similar to the Start menu in Windows) --> System Settings --> Server Settings --> Samba. Click on the Preferences --> Samba Users. Click on "Add User". Find your user in the dropdown and type in the windows username and password. If these do not have to match your windows credentials, you'll simply be prompted to enter a username and password during step 9. Click OK. Click OK again to exit.
    5a. If you haven't added any non-root users in step 5, you can (as root) "adduser newusername" and "passwd newusername" to create new users. Go back to step 5 after creating this new user.
    6. While still in the Samba Server Configuration window, goto Preferences --> Server Settings. Enter the workgroup you currently use in your windows environment (mine is "Workgroup"). I put my FQDN into the description field. Click OK. Close this window.
    7. From the Applications menu --> System Settings --> Server Settings --> Services. It should default to your current runlevel. Mine is 5. Find in the left hand column the service "smb" and check its box. Click the Save button.
    8. From here, you can close the Service Configuration window and reboot. You can also before closing the window, select the "smb" service and click the "Restart" button. Also, select the "network" service and click the "Restart" button. From the command line, you can also "service smb restart" and "service network restart". I've found that the "service" command works only for FC and RH distros.
    9. Now the moment of truth. Goto a windows box and goto Network Neighborhood. Click F5 to force a refresh of the list. Goto Entire Network --> Microsoft Windows Network --> Workgroup. If you did everything correctly, you should see your FC box listed under its shortname.

Cuong

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2