Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi Im new to linux but I am an advanced computer user in general. I just installed the MDK 10.1 distro with KDE and everything works fine except for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I get correct IP but cant connect!?

Hi

Im new to linux but I am an advanced computer user in general.
    I just installed the MDK 10.1 distro with KDE and everything works fine except for the internet connection. Im on a LAN and I have set the eth0 to use dhcp.
    This is the strange part, it has found the dns servers and even has the correct IP that I get in windows but still I cant connect using konqueror.
    If I ping localhost I get 127.0.0.1
    Here is the readout from ifconfig:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:6E:0E:3A:61
    inet addr:193.11.59.11 Bcast:193.11.59.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20c:6eff:fe0e:3a61/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:416 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:170 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:45810 (44.7 Kb) TX bytes:15484 (15.1 Kb)
    Interrupt:5 Base address:0x8800

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:3296 (3.2 Kb) TX bytes:3296 (3.2 Kb)

I may be wrong but to me this looks like a proper configuration?
    The firewall is set to allow everything.
    So what have I missed?

Just Joined!
    I thought this would be an easy problem to solve for all you linux gurus?

I can also mention that I had this problem when I tried the red hat distro,
    but for some reason it started working after an hour or so and I didn't do anything.

Anyway, as you can see the eth0 has the IP 193.11.59.11 so why cant I connect and why do I get the local IP 127.0.0.1 when I ping localhost instead of the other one?

Linux Engineer
    in /etc/hosts localhost is aliased to 127.0.0.1.. this is standard and is necessary for many programs to work.

since ifconfig reports that you have pulled an IP address properly, and all other information for eth0 looks correct, check to see if /etc/resolv.conf has the correct nameservers in it.

one way to test this is to ping a website by its IP address instead of the URL.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    I got it working now. I changed it from dhcp to static and entered the gateway IP and now its working.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by semtecs
    I got it working now. I changed it from dhcp to static and entered the gateway IP and now its working.

Thanks
    I have that problem with slackware sometimes with the gateway if I use dhcp. I still have mine set to dhcp but 1 out of 10 times I have to go in and manually input the gateway and it works fine. I think it is a problem with my wireless card because if I plug in it always works fine.

Glad you got it working.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

lmh
    Just Joined!

similar problem?

I have a similar problem (I think). I have a Fedora Core 3 machine, named "frank", running on a network where a Windows 2000 Server machine is the DNS and DHCP server. I can't get it so that Windows boxes can access the FC3 box by frank, in ssh, ping, or http; but they can get to frank by its IP address, plus frank can ping them by their names.

When I set up the FC3 box, I used system-config-network to put the name "frank" in:
    - eth0 device hostname (in the DHCP settings part of the General tab) -- I also checked "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider", and I automatically obtain IP address settings with dhcp (checked drop-down list). It appears that I cannot clear the name; it reappears when I go back to this tab after visiting another.
    - DNS tab, in the Hostname slot (the primary DNS and the DNS search path were set by DHCP. Putting it in and taking it out afterward appear to have no effect (I do save the configuration and restart the network service).

Any hints as to what I'm doing wrong? And/or is there some setting on the Windows 2000 Server box that I need to change?

Thanks in advance!

lmh

Just Joined!
    I have a similar problem (I think). I have a Fedora Core 3 machine, named "frank", running on a network where a Windows 2000 Server machine is the DNS and DHCP server. I can't get it so that Windows boxes can access the FC3 box by frank, in ssh, ping, or http; but they can get to frank by its IP address, plus frank can ping them by their names.
    That sounds normal if you are not runnig DNS server in your FC3 or you explicitly put in the W2K DNS information about 'frank'.. Meaning no body knows about frank except itself.

When I set up the FC3 box, I used system-config-network to put the name "frank" in:
    - eth0 device hostname (in the DHCP settings part of the General tab) -- I also checked "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider", and I automatically obtain IP address settings with dhcp (checked drop-down list). It appears that I cannot clear the name; it reappears when I go back to this tab after visiting another.
    - DNS tab, in the Hostname slot (the primary DNS and the DNS search path were set by DHCP. Putting it in and taking it out afterward appear to have no effect (I do save the configuration and restart the network service).
    I do not have FC3 distro and I can not tell about X applications. but you can check always /etc/hosts, /etc/named.conf., /etc/resolve.conf, /var/named/*.db (see your distrubution where it store) and /etc/sysconfig/network/ethXX files.

Do the FC3 resolve itself correctly the name 'frank'? If the answer is YES. Is the FC3 DNS server(named/bind) registered as nameserver in the W2K?. Because if all remainder window boxes have as DNS server the W2K in order to from thiese window boxes resolve the name 'frank' FC3(with name frank) has to be registered by W2k either as a host(A record) or name server(NS record).

I hope that helps,

afrolinux

lmh
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by afrolinux
    That sounds normal if you are not runnig DNS server in your FC3 or you explicitly put in the W2K DNS information about 'frank'.. Meaning no body knows about frank except itself.
    Correct. DNS is not running in frank.

Do the FC3 resolve itself correctly the name 'frank'? If the answer is YES. Is the FC3 DNS server(named/bind) registered as nameserver in the W2K?. Because if all remainder window boxes have as DNS server the W2K in order to from thiese window boxes resolve the name 'frank' FC3(with name frank) has to be registered by W2k either as a host(A record) or name server(NS record).
    I don't know about that since the other sysadmin just put in an entry in The Win2000 server's DHCP for explicitly listing frank. I don't recall if it knew about itself. I don't have frank in /etc/hosts, either. But I'm still looking for a solution so that I can take frank out of the DHCP config.

Thanks for the reply!

lmh

Just Joined!
    Could you post 'nslookup frank' output for both FC3 and W2K ?

lmh
    Just Joined!

nslookup

Could you post 'nslookup frank' output for both FC3 and W2K ?
    [root@frank ~]# nslookup frank

Server: 192.168.0.5
    Address: 192.168.0.5#53

Name: frank.mycompany.com
    Address: 192.168.0.155

C:\>nslookup frank
    Server: bigserver.mycompany.com
    Address: 192.168.0.5

Name: frank.mycompany.com
    Address: 192.168.0.155

My other sysadmin is wondering that somewhere in the above posts (in the network settings) I should have had frank listed as frank.mycompany.com instead of just frank. Does that ring a bell?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast