Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How can I hide my ip address?

I know there are lots of companies out there who provide software to hide ip's for anonymous browsing but I don't know which ones to trust - any recommendations?

Ideally I would like a free one but would consider paying if necessary.

Just to be clear - it is not that I want to stop anyone who was looking at my pc from seeing what I have been looking at (I think I could use chrome incognito for that) but it is so I can open an account with a company without them knowing it is me.

Many thanks.

i'd use the tor network (conveniently accessible through the tor browser bundle) for that.
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

Thank you for your recommendation. I'll research about it. <3

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You can use a free proxy to hide your real IP. These free proxies are often slow, but who cares. Unless you want do download/upload huge files they serve just OK.

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    i'd use the tor network (conveniently accessible through the tor browser bundle) for that.
    Actually... if you're going to set up an account with a web site, then using TOR is the last way you want to do it, You'll be giving the web site your personal information, your password, and enough information to unlock your new account if you forget your password - and you'll be passing that information over a network of computers who's sole purpose is to hide your location. Any computer on that network may be able to snoop your details. Even if you're using SSL.

Its much better to set up your account with the provider outside of ToR, then use 2 factor authentication, or log-on using some cookie authentication before you use ToR so you don't have to send your credentials over the anonymising network.

I may have said this before on here. ToR is for anonymity, not for security.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    Actually... if you're going to set up an account with a web site, then using TOR is the last way you want to do it, You'll be giving the web site your personal information, your password, and enough information to unlock your new account if you forget your password - and you'll be passing that information over a network of computers who's sole purpose is to hide your location. Any computer on that network may be able to snoop your details. Even if you're using SSL.

Its much better to set up your account with the provider outside of ToR, then use 2 factor authentication, or log-on using some cookie authentication before you use ToR so you don't have to send your credentials over the anonymising network.

I may have said this before on here. ToR is for anonymity, not for security.
    did you read the OP?
    anonymity is what it asked for, not security.
    but i tend to agree with you anyhow.
    i question the presumption that led to the idea of having to hide one's IP.
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    did you read the OP?
    anonymity is what it asked for, not security.
    but i tend to agree with you anyhow.
    i question the presumption that led to the idea of having to hide one's IP.
    Yes I did read the OP, it's the 'opening an account ... without them knowing it's me' bit that I found interesting. The other answers above were good, just wanted to highlight what risks TOR poses to people who are new to it.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/