Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to Linux. I just set up Fedora Core 2 and I can't get it to talk to my Windows XP machine. I installed Fedora Core as workstation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

joining a workgroup for windows

I am new to Linux. I just set up Fedora Core 2 and I can't get it to talk to my Windows XP machine. I installed Fedora Core as workstation with the default setup. My Windows XP is running SP2 and is able to communicate with the other Windows Machines on my network. Both computers are on the same network as far as IP address. Windows has this thing about machines have to be in the same workgroup in order to talk to each other on the local LAN. How do I setup a Fedora box to connect to a workgroup so they are both happy

What do you mean by "talk"? If you're referring to communications, you don't have to have any workgroup. If you're referring to file sharing, check out samba:

http://www.samba.org
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Samba is the answer I was looking for. Now that you say Samba I remember about five years ago a friend of mine had the task of setting up Linux and had to install Samba to resolve something he was trying to accomplish thru the network. Unfortunatly he moved to Japan so at the present time I am flying solo on my first Linux install. Thank you for the response.