Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

what is promiscuous mode and why its useful in switched LAN?

i have read about promiscuous mode, it states in most places that it lets a NIC process frames that have a different MAC dest address than the one the NIC is having, having said that, how is it useful in a switched LAN where each host sits in his own collision domain?

if i activate promiscuous mode in a host that is connected to the switch im not supposed to get frames that isnt carrying my dest mac anyway, so is it only useful for networks with hosts that share the same collision domain, like WLAN?
    can anyone clarify?

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by askobilv View Post
    how is it useful in a switched LAN where each host sits in his own collision domain?
    You're right, switched packet routing defeats promiscuous mode (except for broadcast traffic). So to monitor you need to insert a hub (hard to get nowadays) or use the monitor ports on a switch or hack in a splice etc. etc.

However, since no one else fell for the trap, I'll head it off at the pass before Nihili gets you... this is something that you need to go google. A forum isn't the place for such a broad question... unless you're trolling for help like a vampire.

Go well with the reading up on the topic. I think we can marked this [SOLVED].