Find the answer to your Linux question:
First post...I'm completely new to linux and purchased a new whitebox job from Monarch Computers about a month ago with the intention of replacing my old Windows computer. I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with SBC Yahoo DSL and Linksys Router

First post...I'm completely new to linux and purchased a new whitebox job from Monarch Computers about a month ago with the intention of replacing my old Windows computer. I was very excited about getting this new computer with a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and SuSE 9.2 Pro 64-bit because it sounded like it'd be a nice smooth ride compared to my old computer that would lock up every time I used it. But, so far it's been a tug-of-war with this thing - if it's not one problem it's another. The big issues right off the bat were getting the awesome nVidia card to work with Twinview, getting an i-Pod to show up, and getting the SBC Yahoo DSL connection that I've had for about a year to work. So far I've resolved the former two for the most part, but the DSL has been a big problem on and off - not to mention the biggest problem, since as long as I'm online I'll be able to find solutions for my other problems.

Initially I simply moved my Windows box, which worked fairly well with the DSL - a few dropped connections, but nothing reconnecting didn't solve - and put my new linux box in it's place. Plugged the stock SBC DSL modem, Speedstream 5100 (four lights), into the onboard ethernet, installed roaring penguin and I was off. It seemed to work great. It took all weekend, but eventually I got two NEC FE950's running side by side on the GeForce 5700 FX at 1600x1200 each, but through all the research it took to get that working the DSL connection kept dropping. I'd try to reconnect with adsl-connect but to no avail. Only would restarting the computer and running adsl-start fix the connection until the next time it dropped, perhaps after an hour or so of continually hitting web pages.

Well, after a disaster with trying to re-compile the kernel for the first time to get the i-Pod to work, I simply popped the SuSE 9.2 DVD back into the drive and reinstalled the whole thing - I didn't have anything to lose but time since I haven't transfered anything from my old computer to the new yet. After getting the fresh system back up I tried to connect with adsl-start after setting up again with the same settings and it wouldn't connect.

I came home from CompUSA a few days ago with a new Linksys router after reading of being able to magically get DSL connections through a router and we come to my current predicament:

I've got the old windows machine up and running next to the new linux machine.

Both are connected to a four wire Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router (BEFSR41).

The router is connected to the Speedstream 5100 modem.

The router is configured via the web interface to have a PPPoE connection with my various ISP settings including username, password, MTU=1492, and the correct DNS's for my area.

Turn the windows machine on and I'm online. I think I'm actually surfing faster than I have before with the silly SBC connection manager.

Turn the linux machine on and I'm online too. It's noticably slower than the windows machine and after hitting a couple of websites I'm dead in the water. Any web browser I try in the linux box timeouts on any website I hit. If I'm lucky I can still browse in Firefox on the windows machine. But usually it's no internet for either machine while both are on. I'm trying this experiment now it seems like the windows machine still has a connection but the linux machine got through a few sites before stopping.

Turn off the linux box and after a few seconds the windows machine definitely gets its connection back if it didn't maintain it for the whole time anyway.

If I try it with just the linux box on I'm lucky if I get a connection at all and if then it's only for a minute.

this is what ifconfig eth0 gets if it at least got a connection at one point:

Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8D:EB:B7:07
    inet addr:192.168.1.101 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::250:8dff:feed:b707/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:257 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:249 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:27870 (27.2Kb) TX bytes:17616 (17.2Kb)
    Interrupt:201 Base address:0xb400

If it never gets a connection upon boot then it's the same without the IP. The ethernet is configured with DHCP, Default Gateway left blank, and in YaST the MTU=1492, but as the ifconfig eth0 shows above it is still 1500. I've tried:

ifconfig eth0 mtu=1492

...but it doesn't change it or I get an error after waiting a 30 seconds (inconsistent):

mtu=1492: Host name lookup failure

If I go into YaST and change some detail such as MTU=1400 and then change it back to 1492 I'll get the internet connection back but only for a second.

An interesting thing shows up in the tail of dmesg:
    eth0: Invalid MTU

Here's some details for my system:
    Kernel: 2.6.8-24
    I've got the SBC Yahoo DSL Basic package with dynamic IP's.

I've tried switching cables around, reseating the CAT5 jacks, power-cycling the modem. Doesn't change anything.

I've run out of ideas. Thanks in advance for any help.
    -
    Jeff

ok whoa that is weird i have the same setup and sbc yahoo and i am fine however i remember somethine weird along thoes lines a year ago or so b4 i switched to static ip's and set the gateway to that of the routers ip something else to do would be to try not using the dns servers that sbc gives you and using the dns in the router by placing the routers ip in /etc/resolve.conf
    Code:
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    the ip of your router
    also set the mtu for the router in the setup utility
    if this dosnt work someone else might have an idea....werid just weird
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip, it seemed to work at first, but then the same thing happened. I kept losing the connection. It wasn't that /etc/resolve.conf got automatically rewritten to the SBC DNS's - I turned the update off.

With the MTU in the router, that's another thing I forgot to mention I had done already. Again in the router setup utility (which strangley only works through IE) MTU=1492.

Something I hadn't noticed before, but Kinternet seems to accurately reflect the state of the internet connection on the linux box. If I'm not doing anything Kinternet shows a good connection. If I try to hit a webpage it goes through with its trying to connect animation, then it will either connect or, more often, hang and die.

I doubt I could get SBC to give me a trial with static IP setup. I'd be glad to pay the extra ten bucks if I only knew that it would work...something I'd need to try.

I'm wondering about the MTU issue. I wonder why dmesg shows that MTU error. I can't even remember where I got 1492 from. I've tried other numbers, 1400 for example. I must of read 1492 somewhere. Or it could have been 1438 for that matter. I think it was 1492 because the DSL modem was supposed to support full ethernet MTU of 1500 but it actually would drop an octet, so 1492 was ideal. I'm not sure.

Does anyone think that having a static IP might solve my problem? Any other ideas? What would be the advantage of a static IP otherwise? I understand the importance for being a server, but isn't that something that DDNS could solve? From what I've read so far it's those with the static IP package that have had the easiest setup.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Just Joined!
    After reading that the more recent firmware for the router had better DHCP clienty leasing I thought I'd give an update a go. I figured that maybe the ISP got confused with two computers trying to get access from the same IP and simply dropped the connection. That doesn't really quite explain why the windows machine still worked. Anyway, I think I managed to corrupt the firmware on the router. At first neither using tftp or the web interface for the router worked to upgrade the firmware. Then the web interface seemed to work, but it simply hung after it had seemed to install the new binary. It said it would take a few minutes to update, but nothing was really going on. I left it like that for a good half hour. Now I can't even get to the web interface for the router anymore...

I'll have to try and fix the firmware on that tomorrow...

Just Joined!
    Luckily Linksys expects people to screw up their routers and they have that wonderful reset button on the back. I upgraded the firmware to the latest version. Still no luck with the linux box...same results as before. I'm going to try and get a trial on a static IP package and see if that helps. I tried cloning the MAC address from the windows box to the router. I don't think that matters though, since SBC doesn't register MAC addresses to my knowledge...

After asking around some more I'm beginning to suspect the hardware...maybe the ethernet jack on the motherboard is faulty? I'm not sure if that would explain anything. Does anyone think that plugging a new PCI ethernet card in would help?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Linux Newbie
    Sounds like you are operating the dsl modem as a modem (you have pppoe.) It is possible to make the modem handle all the connections by accessing the modem's control page and setting ppp to on the modem. Maybe a setup like this would work:

Code:
    &#40;net&#41;<---->&#40;modem internal ip=192.168.0.1&#41;<---->&#40;router ip to router=192.168.0.2 ip on internal net=10.0.0.1&#41;<---->&#40;puter ip=10.0.0.2&#41;      .                                                                        ^|---->&#40;puter ip=10.0.0.3&#41;
    Have dns on both puters set to 10.0.0.1 and dont packet forward by the router (make it so you cant ping 192.168.0.1 from the puters.) Just my 2 cents